What is the deal with my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, sdo my ducks have always, and I mean Always been good about going in on time. This past week, they havent been wanting to go in the coop. But it is only a couple of them.
    One night it was 3 of my khakis, and then some of the mixed breeds. Last night it was all of my khakis I have sat and watched them and nothing scares them or anything... I just dont know what their deal is, but for some reason they just stay on the pond instead...

2. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Maybe they like staying out during a full moon.

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I agree. Full moon. We had to get a canoe involved. [​IMG]

4. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I think the days are starting to change, and even though we don't notice animals certainly do. It may just be starting to throw off their body clocks.

5. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe is does have something to do with the moon? My girls all of a sudden have decided to lay their eggs in new spots the past three days. They use to lay them in their nest together, now they lay them in seperate spots inside the pen but not in the nest. Same two spots for the past three days. Weird!

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I went out this morning to find the ducks had moved all their bedding into one corner and had a nice round little nest with the single egg in the middle.

7. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    I dont know why it would be the moon, I mean this isnt their first full moon Ya know?
    But I have no one possible to get them out of the pond, and it gets to be almost 40 degrees at night now.
    But I am more worried about them getting eaten then anything else.
    Ive tried food, and throwing stuff in the pond to scare them and it just wont work.
    They come up to the coop at about 6 a.m. usually. I feel as if, since they are dumb enough to stay out, and I cant do anything about it, if they get eaten by something its their fault.
    Because they are the ones that suddenly stopped coming in, anyways they know its feeding time, and its the usual.

8. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Mine went into the new home I lovingly built for them the first 3 nights. Then, the last 2 nights - no interest.

I too think it is the full moon. Mine may never see Purina again if the don't waddle their tails into that house!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I was thinking with the full moon they can see so much better and don't have to worry so much about preds, can have more fun in the pond. since it's not pitch black. It will be interesting to see if they change their tune when it is pitch blk again. Mine just wait at the door for me every evening to put them up, they are so stuck in a routine, which I'm very thankful for. routines are good.

10. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:This is exactly what mine have done since the beginning of june. When they first started going outside. So I dont understand, there are full moons every month. Why would this one be so special

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by