What is the differance?????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh, Feb 22, 2011.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    In Ameraucana and EE? I have 2 roosters. I will get a picture of later to see if anyone can tell me what they are. How many chickens lay blue eggs?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'll probably confuse the issue more than explaining it, but I'll give this link for Easter Eggers. But maybe it will help.

Easter Eggers
    http://www.eastereggers.com/

There are two recognized breeds in the US that lay blue eggs, Araucana and Ameraucana. These breeds have very specific requirements for color, pattern, conformation, leg color, comb, number of toes, and many many specific characteristics. Any chicken in the US that does not meet the requirements for these breeds but has the blue egg gene is considered an Easter Egger. That is about as simple as I can make it.

There are other breeds that lay blue eggs, but they are not officially recognized in the US. There requirements for different breeds are different in different countries. What passes for an Araucana in the US may get disqualified at a show in France, for example. If you really want me to, I can make it really complicated.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucanas and Ameraucanas lay blue eggs, but Easter Eggers also have the chance.

Easter Eggers come in a variety of colors, leg colors, and can lay a variety of egg colors. The common is a brown and black EE hen with green legs, laying a blue or green egg. Roosters are usually black and brown or black, gold, red, and white.

Ameraucanas have slate/gray legs with white soles, and come in only 8 APA recognized colors, and should lay only blue eggs.

Common Easter Egger rooster color, though they vary. Some are red and black.

[​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks for the help. I have one more rooster I want to know what is. I will get a picture of it and these 2 Colored egg rooster. These 2 have the beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by