1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the difference between a cochin and a pekin chicken bantam?? And what breeds do i have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlicesSilkies, Oct 3, 2012.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 bantams, what are they pekin or cochin, and what are their breeds??

[​IMG]
    Dottie

[​IMG]
    Poppy

[​IMG]
    Thankyou!

Mumble

2. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    In your country the breed is called Pekin. See the British Standard. In the US they are called Cochin bantams, and the APA Standard calls for them to be exact miniatures of the Cochin LF. The reality is that there are some differences in type between our Cochin bantams and LF, so when we have what we consider to be good quality Cochin bantams, and they are awarded top placings, we are basically ignoring our own Standard. Your country remembers the history behind them, and of the Cochins from when both were first imported there. Somehow it got forgotten when we received both breeds from you, and superficial similarities allowed early breeders to carelessly group them together as different size versions of one breed. If I remember correctly, you do not have a Cochin bantam in your Standard, nor a Pekin LF.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bantam 1975

Bantam 1975 Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    They are the same breed of chicken. Just named different in other countries. If u live in the U.S. or Canada they are known as Cochin Bantams. In England,Europe,China (Peking where they are from and got the name Pekin now Beijing),as well as all other Asian countries, they are called Pekins. Slight differences because they are held to different standards, they are still the same breed.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's right. Whenever the UK posters mention a pekin, I always think they mean a duck. Here it's a cochin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by