What is the difference between a Sex Link and a Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hosspak, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Now that I know for sure that Chris Rock is a roo, as he so loudly demonstrated today for the first time ever. (In my face, lol) How do I know if he's a Barred or Sex link? What is the difference? Can I do some creative breeding with my; BCM, Tetra Tint, G. Comet, EE's, B. Wyandotte, Buff Orp? I have 3 Roo's, BCM, RIR and this "whatever"...
    [​IMG]
    As ever BYC opinions are very welcome....[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm, usually a black sex link rooster will have a little yellow in the hackles and saddles, whereas a barred rooster will just be grey. So far, yours appears to be a hatchery Barred Rock.

If you had Barred Rock hens you could do sex-linked matings, but with him he will just produce interesting mutt offspring with any of your hens.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barring genetics 101 [​IMG]

pure bred (both parents are barred) males get a copy of the barring gene from each parent. Pure bred females only get a copy from the father. Females do not pass on barring to female offspring. Males pass on barring to each gender offspring. A barred rock is at the base a black bird, with the "bars" of white on the feathers. Since the males get two copies of the barring gene, they have more white than black. Females are darker overall, they have more black than white as they only get one copy of the barring gene.

That said, your boy looks like a pure bred barred bird. As stated above, sex links (non-barred rooster over barred hen) are overall darker colored---often confused with pure bred hens until combs, etc tell the story---and have red leakage on hackle feathers. Your guy is lighter colored, no leakage seen. I'm pretty confident saying your bird has two copies of the barring gene and all his offspring will be barred to some degree.

What colors are you going to get? I really don't know. The black as the base color seems to override a lot of other colors in my own backyard flock. I've had a pure barred rooster and a sex link rooster and have gotten some interesting mixes of birds, but lots and lots of black and white. I think the tetra tints might have dominant white, so you could get maybe some white birds with "ghost" barring, the sex links could maybe give you some red or calico barred birds (pretty!), and the Easter eggers are always a wild card! That's why I love breeding them!

1 person likes this.
  4. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Thank you for the info! I already knew about the differences in female vs male coloring-the rest you just taught me!

5. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Thanks for the information overload. lol [​IMG]Any info is good info. The guy I purchased him from said that it could be a hen. I soon learned through BYC that he doesn't really know much about Sex Links. So if he is a Sex Link rooster, he is not really special looking and no reason to breed, is this a good assumption? I really want to go for the olive eggers from my 2 EE's before doing anything else.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No real reason to breed any backyard bird unless they fit what YOU want as chicks. If you're wanting olive eggers, he doesn't fit in your needs at all. Your EE hens and your BCM rooster sound like where you want to go.

7. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Yeah, I agree. I'm working towards cooping up the BCM with both EE's and The RIR roo with the Buff. I have noticed something odd, when Walter (BCM) climbs any of the hens Mrs. Walter interrupts and pecks the heck out of the other hen, she also does this when I try to hold any of the other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by