What is the difference between Black Stars and Black Sex link?

comerrick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
I have 4 week old black stars pullets.
But today in my order from Ideal, I got 4 black sex-link males for warmth. Ideal says their black sex link are a cross between RIR Roosters and BR Pullets. The chicks have blond on their chests as well as the spot on their heads. But when I look at the pic for the Black Stars, they don't have that blond on their chests. So can anyone explain the difference?
Lov
Liv

I do know that. Both the Black Stars and the Black Sex Link are both Sex link chickens but they have different parentage some way and I am wanting to know what that is.
Lov
Liv

Black star is a black sex link. Lots of the hatcheries have there own names for the different ones even though they have the same breeds.

Last edited:
No, they are not a standard breed. They are bred by using 2 pure bred chickens to produce a predictable out come at hatch every single time. This is the 'sex link' part. At hatch pullets are always black and cockerals are always yellow. They are bred so they can be sexed by color immediately at hatch. It is exactly the same way they breed red sex link. The sex trait is linked to the color of the hatching chick.

If the sex links are so popular why don't they somehow become a standard breed? Or are they?

As Ms Prissy said, you breed the RIR roo to the BR hen to get a sex link. The reason sex links are not their own breed is because when you breed the them to each other you do not get more sex links. They do not breed true. A RIR, for example, bred to a RIR always produces RIR chicks, and those chicks bred to each other produce more RIRs. That is what makes them a distinct breed--something that doesn't happen with sex-links.

HTH

edited to add: Hatcheries probably LIKE sex-links because you'll need to come back and buy more, since they don't breed true. Yes, you can breed your own, but you'd need to keep RIRs and BRs to create them. They probably hope you'll think it's too much bother to keep 2 extra breeds to make your sex links when you can just buy the little ones from the hatchery.

big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom