What is the difference between Brahma's and Cochins, large fowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lee, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    So what is the difference?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    The physical difference I can think of is combs. Im sure they have different lineage, but I dont know much about the background of breeds.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Brahmas are a heavier framed bird, feathers growing down their legs but do not wear the "pants" in feathers like the Cochins do. Brahmas are real tigers when you want to catch them, Cochins are a milder passive bird most of the time, silkie fluffy puff balls. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Thank you, I will pass that along to a friend who just bougt a pair of Light Brahmas and asked me about Cochins, but I didn't know the one breed from the other.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Tigers? Not quite. Just ask the three that I scooped up easily this morning to set them on the couch so they could visit with the GS. Generalizations are a bad thing.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Both are feather legged & are judged in the same class ie: Asiatic for large fowl & Feather Legged for bantams.
    Other than that there is very little similarity between the 2 breeds. If they look the same to you you should look at better examples of the breeds or look more closely.

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tigers? Not quite. Just ask the three that I scooped up easily this morning to set them on the couch so they could visit with the GS. Generalizations are a bad thing.

Well, I did not realize I was going to be crushed on generalizations. Give me a break. I am not an expert, don't want to be if it means crushing other peoples observations in a sharing atmosphere. All birds raised in captivity show a kinder side, fighting side according to what you desire, the parents and they're genetics. Also our birds give what you put into them, so it shows you must put in a lot of time with yours. So PLEASE excuse me.
    Live and let live ok. Or is that to "general" for you?

1 person likes this.
  8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Easy spook, gritsar was just pointing out that every breed can have some sweet chickies and some not so sweet chickies. [​IMG]

I, too, have Brahmas that I can easily pick up and hold. Yes, they were raised in our house with children and yes I think that definitely makes a difference for most chickens. Again though, chickens have different personalities so there are no absolutes for these things.

Edited for spelling... ahh!!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry spook, but instead of saying "Brahmas are real tigers when you want to catch them" (making it sound like a definite pronouncement from an expert), maybe you should have said "some can be real tigers when you want to catch them". I'm sure there are other breeds that the same thing could be said about, no matter that 99% of them are sweet, docile chickens.
    I just hate to see anyone turned off what is a beautiful calm breed because someone said they are tigers.
    And I do live and let live. You stated your opinion and I stated mine.

10. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    The body type of a cochin is very different. The legs are farther apart and they walk funny, they have much more 'fluff', especially above the saddle area, their tail feathers are limp, they are short and rounded. They have a lot more feathers on their legs. A good cochin looks like a pompom with a head. Brahmas tend to ...look more like a normal chicken with feathered feet. o_O And Brahmas have their own special colors....it's just weird if you ask me.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by