What is the difference between calm, docile, and friendly

Brooksy21

Songster
Apr 17, 2021
Stevensville, Montana
Hi, I’m thinking about adding to my flock of next spring and looking for calm, docile, friendly birds. I have 2 BOs, 2 BAs and 2 Crested Legbar mixes (EEs) Temperament is very important to me but after searching the internet over I cannot find any decent definitions for what the different temperaments mean when discussing chicken breeds. I’d really like to know the difference between calm, docile, and friendly. These seem very similar to me. Some are labeled calm but not docile? Very confusing!

Last edited:
I think the terminology used is just whatever whoever writing up the description chooses to use - there's no standard for describing the temperament of a chicken.

But I'll take a guess. Like calm = not flighty/panicky, docile = less likely to be a bully/troublemaker in a flock, and friendly = more friendly to humans?

This is a good question! I’m not entirely sure either! When I think calm, I think of my Wyandotte. She’s mellow…like not a lot ruffles her feathers, but she’s less docile which to me means tame. She’s also a very calm but not so friendly bird. She’s not mean and she visits me as long as I don’t touch her…so to me she is calm. My BCM pullet is super docile. She will sit on me, follow me around, and snuggle under my neck while I watch TV. And my Ameraucanas are friendly. They come visit, they take food from my hand, they let my kids pick them up, but they’re not super tame and lovey. They’re happy and friendly and sweet. :)

I’m so glad that I got two of each breed because I know that the temperament of the bird is mostly just the individual personality of each bird. My BOs are both friendly but almost too friendly and will peck at me till I pick them up 🤣 They are both very independent but in different ways. One is my adventure, super curious, active and doesn’t like to be held very long and the other is content to lag behind and a bit of a rag doll. I can hold her forever, she rarely moves when I pick her up except to get more comfy in my arms. 😍 She is my most calm, friendly and docile and I’d love to have more like her, but maybe in a different color or a breed that lays a darker brown egg. Suggestions? More rag doll lap chickens that lay a decent amount of eggs?

Last edited:
This is a good question! I’m not entirely sure either! When I think calm, I think of my Wyandotte. She’s mellow…like not a lot ruffles her feathers, but she’s less docile which to me means tame. She’s also a very calm but not so friendly bird. She’s not mean and she visits me as long as I don’t touch her…so to me she is calm. My BCM pullet is super docile. She will sit on me, follow me around, and snuggle under my neck while I watch TV. And my Ameraucanas are friendly. They come visit, they take food from my hand, they let my kids pick them up, but they’re not super tame and lovey. They’re happy and friendly and sweet. :)
Thanks for your response, I guess my follow up question to this is what do you consider tame? Love the BCM description that’s what I’m looking for: Snugglers, that will mix well with my current girls. Been think Black Copper Marans for a while but am not sure about their temperament.

I’m so glad that I got two of each breed because I know that the temperament of the bird is mostly just the individual personality of each bird. My BOs are both friendly but almost too friendly and will peck at me till I pick them up 🤣 They are both very independent but in different ways. One is my adventure, super curious, active and doesn’t like to be held very long and the other is content to lag behind and a bit of a rag doll. I can hold her forever, she rarely moves when I pick her up except to get more comfy in my arms. 😍 She is my most calm, friendly and docile and I’d love to have more like her, but maybe in a different color or a breed that lays a darker brown egg. Suggestions? More rag doll lap chickens that lay eggs?
She sounds lovely! I have 19 chickens and out of them all, the only one that is super docile and lovey is my blue copper marans pullet (pic below from some couch time today).

I have heard/read that Brahmas if you have the space for them are the most docile and sweet chickens. I have a friend that has a couple and they are truly gentle giants. I have yet to have an Orpington that I didn’t like but they are not my lap chickens, they’re just super tolerant haha. I also met the best sapphire gem chicken ever at a friends house. She was sooo chill and lovey! It really is the luck of the draw though! But BCMs sure have pretty eggs too! 😍 I’ve also heard lots of people rave about the friendliness of salmon Faverolles and their eggs are super pretty too! 😁

Attachments

• 3A10851D-D99D-4EB3-87A7-1C986397893A.jpeg
    3A10851D-D99D-4EB3-87A7-1C986397893A.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 5
  • E46C4243-8F7E-4F3C-A33B-42439F78778F.jpeg
    E46C4243-8F7E-4F3C-A33B-42439F78778F.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for your response, I guess my follow up question to this is what do you consider tame? Love the BCM description that’s what I’m looking for: Snugglers, that will mix well with my current girls. Been think Black Copper Marans for a while but am not sure about their temperament.
I guess when I think tame I think most people friendly. Follow you around the yard, ride on your shoulders, visit you instead of foraging with everyone else. Others might call that friendly too! I just think lots of chickens can be friendly but not super tame. They’ll still flip out if you try to carry them around like my kids do :-D

She sounds lovely! I have 19 chickens and out of them all, the only one that is super docile and lovey is my blue copper marans pullet (pic below from some couch time today).

I have heard/read that Brahmas if you have the space for them are the most docile and sweet chickens. I have a friend that has a couple and they are truly gentle giants. I have yet to have an Orpington that I didn’t like but they are not my lap chickens, they’re just super tolerant haha. I also met the best sapphire gem chicken ever at a friends house. She was sooo chill and lovey! It really is the luck of the draw though! But BCMs sure have pretty eggs too! 😍 I’ve also heard lots of people rave about the friendliness of salmon Faverolles and their eggs are super pretty too! 😁
You BCM also sounds lovely and is super cute. Do you only have one of that breed. I’m curious if maybe all Marans are more on the docile, friendly, sweet side or you just got lucky and Thank you for your reply it’s very helpful.

I guess when I think tame I think most people friendly. Follow you around the yard, ride on your shoulders, visit you instead of foraging with everyone else. Others might call that friendly too! I just think lots of chickens can be friendly but not super tame. They’ll still flip out if you try to carry them around like my kids do :-D
That makes sense, I think of my bolder BO like this: friendly but not super tame. She’s always the first to greet me and first to come when called however after she laid her first eggs is not so happy to be held. Friendly always at my feet but not super docile (tame) lap chicken.

You BCM also sounds lovely and is super cute. Do you only have one of that breed. I’m curious if maybe all Marans are more on the docile, friendly, sweet side or you just got lucky and Thank you for your reply it’s very helpful.
I do only have the one pure bred BCM, so I can’t say for certain that they’re all this sweet and cuddly. It’s probably more likely I got lucky to be honest. You might do a search for them on here and see what others say about them. Might give you a better idea? Good luck on your quest 😁 lap chickens are pretty great!

Back
Top Bottom