What is the difference between frizzles and sizzles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buugette, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I have two Frizzle Seramas... and I keep hearing about sizzles. What is the difference?

2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Frizzled is simply the frizzled gene...

Sizzled is a Silkie Frizzle....Silkie gene X frizzle gene....

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you.

Is it okay if 2 frizzles mate? I was told it would produce a chicken with very weak feathers.

4. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:It will produce what are called "Curleys" which have poor feather covering the body of the bird.

You will need to be sure and add heat with a weather change as they have very poor insulation.

On the plus side if you breed a Curley to a Smooth you will get 100% Frizzled chicks.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Frizzled is simply the frizzled gene...

Sizzled is a Silkie Frizzle....Silkie gene X frizzle gene....

Yes and not quite. Sizzles have all traits of a silkie EXCEPT FOR SILKIE FEATHERING. Sizzles DO NOT have silkied feathers; that would be a frizzled silkie. A sizzle has black/slate skin, a mulberry coloured walnut comb, 5 toes on each foot, a moderate crest, feathered feet and frizzled non-silkie feathers.

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    u can breed to frizzle together as long the frizzle u are breed both had a non frizzle parent

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you breed two frizzles together, assuming each has only one copy of the frizzle gene, 25% will not inherit frizzling at all, 50% will inherit one copy of the frizzle gene and the last 25% will inherit two copies of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by