What is the difference between Self Blue and Lavender?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Nov 22, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Is "self blue" the same as lavender?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes.

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You're welcome but here is a quote from something Chris said a while back, maybe he will stop in and she some more light on it.

Quote:

5. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    So then.... what is the difference between lavender and self-blue? Is it a genetic difference?

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:As far as I know they are the same thing but I'm not quite sure what he meant by that so hopefully he or Sonoran will explain any difference if there is any.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    Like I said all, "Lavenders" are Self Blue BUT not all Self Blues are, "Lavenders". [​IMG]

"Lavenders" should be a single uniform Blue color throughout plumage, making it a Self Blue.
    Now some Self Blue that is a single uniform Blue color throughout plumage but may or may not carry the, "Lavenders" gene.
    There are some Self Blues that are bred from, Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue" there not a Splash but a Self Blue and they breed just like Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue".
    The Self Blues that are bred from Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue" tend to look just like a Self Blue that carry's the, "Lavender" but with better feather quality then most Self Blue that carry's the, "Lavender".

Chris

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:
    Like I said all, "Lavenders" are Self Blue BUT not all Self Blues are, "Lavenders". [​IMG]

"Lavenders" should be a single uniform Blue color throughout plumage, making it a Self Blue.
    Now some Self Blue that is a single uniform Blue color throughout plumage but may or may not carry the, "Lavenders" gene.
    There are some Self Blues that are bred from, Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue" there not a Splash but a Self Blue and they breed just like Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue".
    The Self Blues that are bred from Blue (Bl), "Andalusian Blue" tend to look just like a Self Blue that carry's the, "Lavender" but with better feather quality then most Self Blue that carry's the, "Lavender".

Chris

OK I know what you mean now, I'm pretty sure I have saw some like that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by