1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the difference between the Malay and the O shamo chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PekinBantam, Aug 10, 2012.

1. What is the difference between the O shamo and Malay? I've looked at both of them online and they both look VERY similar... Thanks in advance

PekinBantam

2. Anyone?

3. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Oldhound

Oldhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    South Carolina
  5. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

i belive that first of shamo are european and shamo stand taller and are bigger than malay[​IMG]

6. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Shamo are pea combed, taller, more upright, thinner, longer tails.
    Malay are cushion combed, a bit more solid/muscular, and have shorter, sometimes higher tails.
    Shamo are from Japan , Malay from Asia / India. Good Shamo are still game, while few if any Malay are anymore. More later.

7. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Shamo wings are more prominent at the shoulder and the tips will be held lower than in a Malay. Malays should lay a darker egg than a Shamo. Malay are in bad shape overall as a breed and have some inherent problems. Shamo tend to more/quite hardy. In the USA our standard has the Malay smaller then the Shamo, although weights of both vary quite a bit. They are quite district breeds when you learn to recognize "type" first. A Malay when seen in profile should present 3 curves, head, body, tail, all angled down.

8. Nickeyo

ko shamos are actually bred in europe

9. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Yes, Ko shamo are BRED in Europe, sure. However, they are originally from JAPAN. They were created in Japan. I have Ko Shamo, does that mean they are from PA?

If you really don't know what you are talking about, please kindly just refrain from typing.

10. Nickeyo

hey bro i know what im talkin about and what does PA mean. i have 3 chicken books which ALL say that they may have come from japan but were developed in Europe!!!!!!![​IMG]

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN!

MWA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by