What is the difference between Timothy and Alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3riverschick, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    What is the difference between Timothy and Alfalfa in regards to feeding and bedding poultry?
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Alfalfa is a legume with higher protein and calcium. Timothy is the common grass that looks like mini cattails when mature. The hay I use is mostly timothy. The birds go nuts for the seed when I put it down for winter run hang out areas. It's also what I use for nests, it mats together well and stays in nest shape they make.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2! I buy mostly grass hay for my horses and cattle, never straight alfalfa, which is too rich for them. There would be no reason to use alfalfa hay for the birds either, although a mixed hay would be fine. Mary

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Timothy hay is not good for Birds..Can cause sour or impacted crop....Alfalfa is fine for birds...It has tiny leaves and seeds they love...It is a legume and very healthy for them as forage in the winter.....

Cheers!

5. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Conflicting answers!

1 person likes this.
  6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't consider either timothy, mixed grass, or alfalfa hay as a major feed source for laying hens. Alfalfa hay is the most expensive, and grass or mixed hay is used more often for many different animals. My flock has always ranged in and around the hay, and had some in nest boxes, and been fine. I wouldn't buy alfalfa just for the chickens, but eating some would be fine, along with lots of other plant choices. Mary

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I found this table:
    [​IMG]
    and this picture:
    [​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I would not use alfalfa for bedding because it goes rancid pretty quick once it gets wet.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They all make good points.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  10. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Did you get the answer you were looking for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by