Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
A White rock and a Cornish rock?

is there a difference?

Is An Amber Link a pure bred Chicken or a mix between two others?

A white rock is a dual purpose breed in and of itself. A cornish/rock is a hybrid created to produce a quick growing bird for meat. An amberlink is a hybrid created for maximum egg production. Sort of simplistic, but the best that I can provide.

A white rock is a dual purpose breed in and of itself. A cornish/rock is a hybrid created to produce a quick growing bird for meat. An amberlink is a hybrid created for maximum egg production. Sort of simplistic, but the best that I can provide.
So Cornish are mostly for meat?

Cornish, one word, is a heritage breed that grows normally and lays normally just like Rocks. They're bred for meat and show, but not the same as Cornish X.

A Rock is a heritage breed that is the same as a White Rock or a Barred Rock. Different colors.

A Cornish Rock, or Cornish X, or Cornish Broiler, - Are completely different, all are names for a hybrid that is bred for the meat industry as well as home meat production. They're a super fast growing, piggish eating machine that can be butchered to process in under 2 months.

Cornish, one word, is a heritage breed that grows normally and lays normally just like Rocks. They're bred for meat and show, but not the same as Cornish X.

A Rock is a heritage breed that is the same as a White Rock or a Barred Rock. Different colors.

A Cornish Rock, or Cornish X, or Cornish Broiler, - Are completely different, all are names for a hybrid that is bred for the meat industry as well as home meat production. They're a super fast growing, piggish eating machine that can be butchered to process in under 2 months.
I got Cornish rock. Are they the fast growing ones I thought Cornish x were the fast growing one I got 3 for meat. If there's more meat on them then a leghorn.

Cornish Rock is the same as Cornish X. They'll grow super fast and you'd better start cutting their feed back otherwise they may have health issues.

Cornish Rock is the same as Cornish X. They'll grow super fast and you'd better start cutting their feed back otherwise they may have health issues.
I thought 3 week was the time you do 12 on 12 off?

I just got 17 cornish rock. The info I have found varies on when or even if to cut back feed. Welp hatchery says day 5 do 12 on 12 off. Others on BYC never cut back feed. Mine are about 10 days old. I cut them to 12 on 12 off 2 days ago. Check out the Meat Birds section but you will find verying opinions.

When I raised Cornish X I did not withhold food (12 hours on 12 hours off) only because they are not eating at night anyway(after week 3 they didn't have a lamp). I processed at 7 weeks and had an average of 5.5 lbs dressed.

I may start keeping feed in with them once they don't have the lamp. I happened to wake up about 2:30 am this morning and got a drink, looked out the back window and they were up and wandering around in the area their feeders are during the day.
roll.png
Little pigs. I do have a few that will just sit in the feeder and eat for a while. I gave them more room in their pen today (their pen is 7'X7' but part of it is blocked off ) Now they have access to 3/4 of it. We are getting a cold snap (50's) next week (stupid Florida) so I am prepared to block off more of it if needed. Their heat lamp consists of a 75 watt bulb.

Back
Top Bottom