1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the difference between...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poultrybonkers, May 1, 2015.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    A Crèvecœur And A Polish? Someone said my "polish" is a Crèvecœur how do you tell them apart? Heres my chick
    [​IMG]

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Crevecoeurs and Polish are both in the Continental class, but Crevecoeurs are in the French sub-class while Polish are in the Polish sub-class. Also, Crevecoeurs have smaller crests and are always solid black, but Polish don't come in a variety of pure black. So, yes, your chick is a Crevecoeur.

3. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Dont polish come in self black?

4. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yes, sorry I forgot about that one. Technically there is that variety, but I referring to my Standard of Perfection but forgot that the APA hasn't recognized Self-Black Polish as a true variety of Polish (there are 14 varieties of Polish that are not in the the Standard). Actually, Darwin thought that Crevecoeurs and Houdans were sub-varieties of Polish. Where did you get the chick? That plays a huge factor in deciding the breed. Also, do you have any pictures of when it was a chick? Crevecoeur chicks have more white on them.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Heres it as a chick never had any white on it.
    [​IMG]
    This chick came from meyer hatchery which they do not sell crevecoeur or self black polish.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's a little odd, Self Black Polish usually have white on them as chicks, too. But that's what I'm thinking anyway. You said Meyer Hatchery doesn't sell self Black Polish or Crevecoeurs, which this chick is obviously a Polish, so did the chick come under a different breed name?

7. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    It was part of the leannas adopt me bargain. But there site doesnt sell either breed. So how would they get a chick there not even breeding. Lol

8. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yeah, hatcheries often make mistakes. Cockerels in a run of pullets, I've even heard of a Brahma in with the Leghorn chicks, of all things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by