1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jwchicklady, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    How can i tell the difference between a black australorp and a black orpington? I just bought a black pullet from a guy who said he got a bunch of different chicks from a hatchery--so he doesn't know what they are. I am guessing that she is either a black sex-linked or black australorp? How to tell the difference between the 3? my camera isn't working, so no pictures. I am just curious how to tell the difference between them. she is the sweetest pullet.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    The Black Australorps are solid black and some of the feathers have a shiny green look. The black sex links that have are black with red hackle feathers. Sorry, I don't know what the black orps look like. I'm sure those more experienced will pop in here to answer further.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If they came from a hatchery, they wouldn't be Black Orps. I'v only heard of one hatchery that has them.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most likely, she is a black Australorp. Black Orps aren't that readily available from a hatchery. I know Sandhill Preservation has them and maybe some smaller operations/breeders, but not the big hatcheries that I'm aware of.

Australorps are more tightly feathered than an Orpington, generally. Once, I heard Australorps referred to as "the poor man's Orpington", which I thought was rather interesting.

5. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Do you know what hatchery he got them from?

If there is any reddish-brown in the neck or chest area, then it is most likely a black sex-link, like joedie said. [​IMG]

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I read the same , with an explanation that they were bred down off smaller Black Orps and some outside breeding to get a bird with more eggs , require less feed because of smaller size , yet retain the appearence and broodiness of the Orpington .

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I read the same , with an explanation that they were bred down off smaller Black Orps and some outside breeding to get a bird with more eggs , require less feed because of smaller size , yet retain the appearence and broodiness of the Orpington .

Yep If I remember correcltly they were bred in Austrailia useing Black Orping tons, hense the name Austral Orp.

8. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    thank you, I am pretty sure she is a black australorp then. she has the greenish sheen that the black orps have--but she is smaller than my buff orps. she is so sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by