what is the earliest age a chick starts laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, May 16, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    This is my first year with chickens, I bought adult hens to start in January. I've since bought chicks in March and April, my question is what is the earliest age your chicks started to lay, my oldest chicks are 9 weeks old, at what age should I expect them to start laying, and how old were yours when they started laying... [​IMG]

2. cackle

cackle Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It depends on the breed. My RIR and BR started laying around 22 weeks.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I've had hatchery birds start laying at 18-19 weeks.

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    My Leghorn laid at 19 weeks and the BR and RIR's were about 20 or 21 weeks. Depends on the bird and breed I guess.

5. I've only had Old English chicks which I raised...started laying the first week of February, born the first week of August last year. Six months or 26 weeks thereabouts but it was still cold wintertime, and dark and I don't light my coop...but I do heat it. Two of them have already gone broody and have had chicks...one getting ready to go broody again and she is only 10 months old.

6. We have had mixed breeds start laying as early as 17 weeks and pure breeds start as late as 38 weeks. Depends on the breed, the bird, the conditions and the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by