what is the earliest age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZuniBee, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    what is the earliest age a pullet can be integrated into a coop with a roo and hen? Size wise they are almost as big as the hen, but I don't know what they will do when the roo tries to do his thing I do want to get them in the coop as soon as I can.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have they been in a pen in the main run where you want them to be part of the flock so that the other chickens can see and get used to them?

I usually keep them separated but in a pen in the main hen house for about 2 weeks. Then we go in at night and take them out of the pen and put them on the roost.

The rest is left up to them to sort out. There will be some flapping and noise and maybe even a few squabbles but they work it out on their own.

Good luck, Jay.

3. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    they are in the run right next to the pair and share the same fence. They are three and a half months old. The roo comes out every morning and rushes at the the fence with his wings puffed like he wants to mate.... I guess that's why I wanted to know at what age they can be in the same pen. Is 3 1/2 too young or do you go by size?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since they know each other and are about the same size, you could put them together if you want. I've put mine together earlier than that, and found my particular roo just ignored the girls, or the girls didn't want anything to do with him, so ran away.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I always have gone by size and age. I never put pullets under 16 weeks in the main run with larger chickens. Depending on size I may not do it until 18 - 20 weeks. A big roo can really hurt smaller pullets when he tries to mate them. Often pullets will be scared and run away from the roo.

Put them in and see how it goes. If you are uncomfortable with the behavior or the pullets are being mistreated take them back out again.

For me 3 1/2 months is too young to put in the main run.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Another consideration would be chick grower versus layerfeed. Usually chicks are not started on layer feed until they are 18 weeks or older. Setting up a chick feeder and a layer feeder in the same pen will not work. The old hens will eat all the chick feed. I put 16 week old chicks in a layer pen and mixed 1/2 layer feed and 1/2 chick feed together. I personally wouldn't want to do this with chicks less than 16 weeks.

7. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    what is the Ideal 236s?

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  9. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH