what is the earliest an egg can hatch under a broody & live?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly FG, May 28, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    6:00pm 6/4 will be exactly 21 full days.
    When does piping usually begin?
    I'm off from work on Wednesdays so I'm hoping I'll see the hatch, just wondering when it might start!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This might be a disappointment but you won't see the pip and a chick hatch under a hen...she is going to want to set tight while all that is happening under her...not a good idea to go lifting her up and watching when the chick needs the temps and humdity controlled under the hen same as in a bator...chicks will start hatching anytime after day 19 under a hen if she has set long enough...just depends on how long she has set and if the weather temps have been good ...can be a day early or acouple days late...

I never bother my broodies ... the chicks will peek out at you to let you know they are in the world.....

3. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    ok, that makes sense. I'll just know that I need to keep checking the coop starting on Monday.

4. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Kelly!!!! I missed all of this. Who is broody? Where did you get the fertile eggs?!

Ahhhh, it's going to be your second generation of chicks! I'm sooooooo jealous!

5. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Hey Shelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How are you? How are your girls?
    Sunny is broody again. I bought fertlie Welsummer eggs for her, she had three but two broke so now she's got "the golden egg" with 7 days left! I'm SO nervous! She is the most determined Broody ever, I just hope there is a chick in that egg!

6. Backyard Buddies

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Everyone is doing great here! I still have my three girls. I can't believe they're now over 2 years old! Can you?

Ahhh Sweet Sunny. What a lucky lady to have a mom who'll give her some eggs to hatch! I think I remember you saying in the past that you hoped for some welsummers. I hope that one takes for you and that Sunny (finally) gets to be a mama. She certainly has been determined in the past. [​IMG]

Post again to keep us informed. I don't read all the threads (not enough time, much as I wish there was!), so I just happened to be lucky to see yours on the top page. I'll be looking for the updates!

7. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Ok Shelly, I'm so glad to hear your 3 ladies are doing well! I still have 7 out of my 8 originals & I'm really hoping to have this baby, well I was hoping to have two or three babies but we've only got the one egg now!

Some of my girls don't lay quite as well as they once did and I know my Red Star Olivia must be getting close to burnt out. She has only skipped a couple of days since she started laying.

I'll be posting more silly questions & updates! [​IMG]

8. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    it took our hen 21 days ea egg and we still got about 15 days for our other two to hatch

9. Backyard Buddies

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'm glad to hear that the rest of your girls have done OK since your loss. That was so sad! I hope that Olivia does OK. That's amazing that she's only missed a few days! My girls are still laying about 4 - 6 days a week, with Elsie (EE) laying 4 - 6 and the two RIRs (Penny, Ruthie) laying 5 - 6 each. That's not too shabby considering their ages. I got 17 eggs from them last week, enough for us and enough to share.

I'll keep watch to see how your hatch goes. I'm [​IMG] that it all goes well - and that it's a SHE and not a HE!!!!

Good to catch up with you again!

Last edited: May 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by