What is the earliest you have put chicks in a barn with a heat lamp.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooster Ray, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    I have 6 chicks that are rapidly outgrowing the rubbermaid container they are in. They are, 2 weeks old, last year I only had a few so there was more room. They have all started feathering out and have been jumping up on the edge of the container. I was wondering how early I could put them out in the barn with a heat lamp of course it is still in the 20's at night here.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't risk it until they're fully feathered (6-8 weeks). My reasoning is that if the light would blow out, they should be able to get through ok by snuggling with each other.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

What hinkjc said.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jody's advice is best, however, I did put two-week-old babies out in a nursery coop with 2 heat lamps. Unless you have a draft free place and more than one heat lamp, I would not recommend to do it that early, though. You may want to do a second Rubbermaid brooder and divide them up for another couple of weeks at least.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've put them out at 2 weeks in a big brooder box I made that is in one of my coops. I have 2 heat lamps in case one of them burns out.

6. Rooster Ray

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Quote:Great Idea I never even thought of putting some of them in a second brooder box for extra room. Thanks.

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I had too many for two rubbermaid tubs in my bathroom so my dh made me put them out in garage in a wooden box thingy with two heat lamps on them. It was really cold out there and the were good. they are 6 weeks now and I am ready to kick them outside!!

8. Rooster Ray

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Quote:Great advice maybe I will try the garage instead of the barn then I can keep a better eye on the heat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by