What is the earliest you would mail-order chicks-in Northern US?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elphaba2140, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I am looking to order my chicks for next year and getting my list ready. McMurray already has the new schedule up (it wasn't this weekend). They ship starting January 1st. I ordered my chicks last year at the end of March and I feel it may have been too cold, but would like to order them sooner this year. This way I feel I will get a better variety to pick from and they can be older and out of the house as soon as it gets warm here. What do you all think?

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Ooops that should have said Jan 31st.

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I live in Northern WI and the 4-H kids all order their chicks by mid-Feb. if they want them to be ready for the fair. The majority of the people I know order in February without any problems.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Funny you should ask. I was just looking at McMurray website. I have new egg customers, and my girls just aren't laying like they used to, so I think it's time to get more.
    I hatched out some chicks in January 2 years ago, and when it was time to send them out to the coop after 6 weeks in the spare room- I ended up bringing them in at night for a few nights because I felt bad for them out in the cold. We don't have electricity back at the coops- running an extension cord can be dangerous.
    I've never mail ordered chicks before- I'd be worried about ordering them too early and them being shipped in the cold. So I am thinking for me, probably the begining of March to mid March.

Or maybe December, before it gets too cold LOL

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Only 84 more days until January 31. You'd better make your choice soon [​IMG]
    I spent the greater part of my weekend looking at the catalog too.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If I were you, I would wait a bit later(perhaps March or April) only because I've read so many stories of people on here buying baby chicks in February only to lose all or most of them during delivery.
    Not trying to be a buzz kill-just don't want you to have to be sad/disappointed if this happens. Baby chicks are just too cute to lose.
    Good luck whatever you decide! [​IMG]

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    If you can avoid the blizzards in your area and every between you and the hatchery, go for it! Last year a lot of babies were lost during shipment in the East Coast blizzard. If the airports are shut down for even a day, you are just out of luck.

8. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    i wouldnt know to much about northern weather growin up in florida with ffa and 4-h we used to get ours ASAP here in arizona i hear its the samething but feb sounds good to me [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd go with late March or early April. I can't tell you how many posts I read this past February/March on people receiving chicks either already dead, or them dying within a day or 2.

10. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    I'm kind of wondering the same thing, I'm just starting to see eggs now from my girls. It would be nice to have them laying by early to mid summer when they are more productive and there are more venues for selling eggs.

To get around the loss in transport issue, you could use a broody to hatch out eggs instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by