What is the effect on the other chickens of one chicken dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beaks 4 me, Oct 20, 2013.

1. beaks 4 me

beaks 4 me New Egg

Aug 30, 2013
    Falls City, NE
    I had a chicken die out of my flock. How will that effect the other chickens?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It shouldn't affect them too much. The pecking order will be changed, there will be a few scuffles for dominance, but nothing serious. And only rarely will chickens "mourn" the passing of another one (acting depressed, etc.)

1 person likes this.
  3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. Bantam Lover is right, they will probably move on very quickly. Chickens rarely get attached to each other.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It depends on the size of your flock. I have seen chickens become depressed if one member dies or becomes ill. In my flock,which is relatively small,all my chickens have formed close bonds,sleeping beside their friend,eating together and just going everywhere with each other. I have even noticed some of my roosters in particular my silkies have formed bonds in pairs. Just watch for any change in behavior,egg production may drop,this is normal.

5. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I feel bad for my one silkie, her pal got mareks and is gone. They used to hang out all the time.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Does she have any other chickens to keep her company? If not you should get her at least one.

7. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    yes, I'm down to 5 outside now but those 2 were pals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by