What is the EGG CARTON Method??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickens4jojo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Why do some of you put your eggs in egg cartons to incubate and/or hatch them? Does it make them hatch better? [​IMG]

Just wondering......... [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Use the search and you will find MANY posts for it [​IMG] It keeps them from rolling around and makes clean up easier. (mostly)

3. chickens4jojo

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thank You! There really are a lot of posts [​IMG] Well, it sound like a neat idea to me. It may try it the next time.

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Yeah stupid me didnt use it this time & i think that may have caused some to drown in their eggs so this time around i am defintaley going to use the egg carton once they come out of the turner.

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I could be wrong, but I think if they are drowing that this is due to too high of humidity. Cartons shouldn't fix that problem..... I don;t think.

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Well only 5 died in the shell and I attribute it to being knocked all over the incubator of course I am a novice and could be wrong. My humidty ran 50 % up until day 18 then it ran 75%. Was that too high?

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I did 40% and then closer to 60% though it did get up to 70% I think 75% sounds high... but you should probably read other posts, as I have seen MANY different numbers.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    The eggs are put into the egg cartons on day 18 or 19. Keep them in the turner until then. It keeps the eggs upright and seems to make it easier for the chick to zip around and cleanup is much easier. I used it one time and was very pleased with it.

9. chickens4jojo

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I definitely am going to try the egg carton next time~~easier clean-up sound great & hopefully more of my eggs will hatch this time as my eggs always get rolled around by the first hatched chicks, too.

Thanks for all your advice!! You all are terrific! [​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    do you think the styrofoam ones would melt? My eggs came shipped in styrofoam cartons and I only have one cardboard one that I reuse when I have my mom pick up my eggs from her "egg lady" (Hopefully I will be the "egg lady" soon!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by