What is the "false back" of a refridgerator?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I am trying to build a large incubator out of a full size incubator. I am NOT mechanically inclined, so I need help!

I am suppose to "The air has previously traveled through the eggs and then is sucked by the fan up a false back thus returning the air to the freezer section of the refrigerator to be reheated and sent on its way again."

What exactly is the "false back"?!?

Thanks! I need help from the mechanically inclined.. heh.

-Kim

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not very mechanically inclined but my guess is that a false back is just that, a fake back in the bottom compartment where you funnel the air up into the freezer section.

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] Hm. That's what I thought, it must be really well hidden. I'll have to really look for it closely! LOL Too bad there wasn't an arrow pointing to it with flashing red letters that read "False Back Here!". [​IMG] If only life was that easy!

-Kim

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL. Maybe different fridges are different though in how they cool. I know some of the fancy/newer fridges don't rely on air flow from the freezer section to the refrigerator section to keep it cool, so it might not have one.

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] That would be my luck. That is just didn't have one! I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

-Kim

6. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    The false back is a part you will have to make and install. You can see it behind the turning trays in the second picture. The channel it creates causes the fan to draw the air from the floor of the fridge up the rear to the freezer compartment. Of course this requires an opening into the freezer compartment at the rear.

7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Do you know what they made it out of? I can hardly see it in the picture. None of the sites I recall, talk about "building" the false back. That would explain a lot!

Just to make sure we are on the same page.. You are referring to http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/incu.shtml , correct?

Thanks!
    -Kim

8. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    By the wording I figured that was the plan you were referring to. From the picture it looks like they used some type of particle board or something like that. I think nearly any type of sheet material would work. Whatever you can find that you can work with. Plwood, masonite, plastic, metal, probably even cardboard. You could just duct tape it in place. All it is doing is channeling the air flow back up to the top
    Doug

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    No you guys have it all wrong. A false back are the little flesh colored straps that
    hold the dress on the fridge. They are ver hard to get off but fun to try. [​IMG]

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    PC....remember this is a family forum.

Besides, it's a frigid frigerator...I think you'd be wasting your time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by