What is the fate for this Game fowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by [email protected], Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jolley@5

[email protected] New Egg

Jan 21, 2011
    Hello, I recently joined and was seeking the type of chicken I found last week hanging out at the Starbucks for about a week. I since found a ad on CraigsList for game fowl and it looks exactly like her! So I'm thinking that is what she is. Before I contact this person to return this bird I wanted to make it was a good thing for her. Can anyone explain the purpose of these chickens to me, eggs, meat, or fighting? I couldn't send her back if something awful is going to happen to her. The person is selling them for $50 each if that helps. She was a free range bird prior to moving into my house, and she is anxious to get back out and about. I named her Coffee since she was living at a coffee house, thanks for any advice and help.

LJ and Coffee

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Game cocks are often used for fighting, BUT LOTS of people have them just for the enjoyment of the birds, for showing, etc...bottom line is, it's not your bird, you know whos bird it is, and you need to return it to it's rightful owner. Maybe insist on delivering the bird yourself, then you can possibly see for yourself if they fight birds, and can turn them in if you are suspicious. Let the law handle that part, but do what's right please. [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    In any event hens aren't used for fighting, only cocks are.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    [email protected] :

Hello, I recently joined and was seeking the type of chicken I found last week hanging out at the Starbucks for about a week. I since found a ad on CraigsList for game fowl and it looks exactly like her! So I'm thinking that is what she is. Before I contact this person to return this bird I wanted to make it was a good thing for her. Can anyone explain the purpose of these chickens to me, eggs, meat, or fighting? I couldn't send her back if something awful is going to happen to her. The person is selling them for $50 each if that helps. She was a free range bird prior to moving into my house, and she is anxious to get back out and about. I named her Coffee since she was living at a coffee house, thanks for any advice and help.

LJ and Coffee

What you did is called theft and you can go to jail for it give the bird back.It might not even be that persons bird,lots of people have game fowl.
    Bill​

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:What you did is called theft and you can go to jail for it give the bird back.It might not even be that persons bird,lots of people have game fowl.
    Bill

I believe he said the bird had been hanging out at Starbucks for a week. Seems to me, not like theft by the OP, but abandonment/neglect/carelessness by whoever owns the bird.
    Most people keep game fowl nowadays for exhibition purposes.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Or because they are great eye candy, or great broodies and mothers, or great foragers, good for free ranging -- lots of reasons. And as previously stated, only males fight.

7. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Easttxchick It may be any of the things you metiond but you still are not supposed to keep something that you dont own.We pay a lot of taxes for some one to take care of these things.
    Bill

8. Jolley@5

[email protected] New Egg

Jan 21, 2011
    Wow, very interesting group of people! Thank you Nyreds, Easttxchick and Ddawn for your help. I'm not one to bite my tounge so for you Cathunter and Cloverleaf, you really need to get all the facts before you start telling people they can go to jail. Please educate yourself about the laws of Pierce County Washington. First of all in Washington State you are required to reimburse expenses occurred on behalf of your animal being housed by the good samaritan. Lets see $7.99 for the grated cheese, $8.49 for the 2 way scratch, $1.99 for the bag of mixed vegetables, $1.69 for romain lettuce. $9,95 for the poultry dust (at least she doesn't have mites anymore), and I used my oyster shell and grit so factoring all this in we're kind of getting up towards the selling price!! Another Washington fact is after 30 days the animals becomes yours. None of this would be an issue if I was to find a "LOST" sign or post somewhere, but sadly I did not. I went searching, and I found a person 50 miles from here selling ones that look just like her but again no mention of lost a chicken. So really who is doing the right thing here? I just find it very sad that you guys are what is projected to be miserable folk and all you have is this forum to bark out your judgements to other who you do not know. You lack tact in your choice of words. I will keep you in my thoughts and pray for happiness for you. But if you're still very bitter I live in unincorperated Pierce Couny 50 miles from the ad selling the chickens and the local animal control number is 253-798-PETS (7387) I don't feel this is a forum I want to be part of especially not worth paying for. But again thank you to you all who did offer advice I do appreciate it.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I really wish you would reconsider. BYC is generally a really helpful, friendly place and a great resource for all kinds of info.
    You did a good thing, but you know the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished", right? [​IMG]
    Don't let it bother you.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Don't let the theft comment bother you! It isn't thievery. . .

But, if you're SURE she's a game and not something else, game hens are really good for brooding on and hatching out eggs/chicks. They make very good protective mothers and are a cheap, reliable form of an incubator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by