What is the Fatty chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StelleKitten, Feb 2, 2013.

1. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I got three chicks out of a bargain bin last fall. And I can sort of guess at the other two. They have some colors but this bird has baffled me. We call her Fatty because she/he? is the largest of all. I'll post a pic tuesday after I take a more recent one. But she is all black. Solid. No fancy feathers or anything. The only thing about this chicken is that the legs are REALLY thick. The others have legs that are around as thick as my pinky finger. Fatty's legs are thicker than my husbands thumb! Any clue as to what breed or breeds have really thick legs?

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Don't know if we can help unless you post pics. Refer to the "sticky" post at the top of the forum for the best pics to give us.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    without a pic its hard to say but i would guess an assuie or JG

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    A picture would definitely help.....

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Roosters have really thick legs [​IMG]

The most common solid black birds you'll get from a feed store are australorps.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    This was my very first thought, too, honestly.

7. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Gah! My camera broke. Thanks for the answers. I am having a rough week. Hopefully soon I can get a picture. The only one I have is when it was really young. At this size its legs were as thick as my pinky finger. The rooster we got with it, has skinnier legs. His pic is the first one. The first pic and the second one were taken the same day. They are both from the same random chick box. It was labelled heavies straight. Btw, the legs are black. Sorry about that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    I'd guess Australorp

9. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    I think it is an Australorp.

10. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Okay, well we are very sure that Fatty is a roo. He started crowing this week. As far as breed we are running with Australorp for now but if he gets much bigger he will likely go into the category of black jersey giant. Again, sorry about the blasted pics. I can't get my pictures off my camera for some reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by