What is the favorite treat for Toulouse Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Gator113, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I'm a rookie at all of this.

Two nights ago I brought home our first gang of Geese. Three are Toulouse and we are told that the 4th is a mix of Toulouse and Embden. We are told that 3 are about 6 months old and that one is a bit over a year old. We are told that 2 are female and two are male. They were only $20 each, they look healthy, so I decided to buy them even though I don't believe a word the private seller had to say. If need be, I'll start over in the spring by buying babies.

We have been trying to make them comfortable with their new home. While we will be finishing their shed this weekend, they are presently in our courtyard just outside the back door, allowing for frequent contact with us. Of course we quickly found that keeping them this close to the house has given us the advantage of quickly learning how to walk on slippery Goose gifts. LOL

They are cautiously approaching and eating the food that we set out for them, but they are not the least bit interested in ANYTHING that we toss toward them, such as watermelon, bananas, grapes, peaches and lettuce.

I would like to find the treat that most motivates them and perhaps speeds up the bonding process.

I have a 2 year old GSD that would kill my neighbor if I offered him liver to do the job. The chickens would kill for grapes. We have had our first Muscovy ducks here for about 2 weeks, 3 of these 6 ducks are now eating from our hands. The ducks like grapes but absolutely love watermelon.

So, what if anything can I use to bribe these Geese? Should I just skip the treat attempts or do what my wife's says works and just give them my credit cards and ask them to go shopping? ;>)

Regards,

Dan

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    bread....dog food...little bites...keep tossing...they'll get use to it and you soon will not be able to walk out without them gathering around you.

3. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Quote:Thanks. I'll try the bread. We don't have dog food... my boy eats a raw diet that includes a quarter chicken twice a day. LOL

4. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    welcome to goose world!! Even if you don't buy dog food for your dog...? I keep a bin in the feed shed for the geese....the guineas and chickens eat it too? but I supply dog food to the flock for primarily the geese...more protein for them. HOWEVER!! They LOVE bread..the geese. Day old store on the way home is the geese friend!! Good luck with the critters!!

5. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I am working on taming my three Toulouse now. everyday they get better and two of my three are eating out my hands now. I feed them bread or stale bagels in the morning for a snack.

6. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    The bread did the trick!!!!!!

I grabbed two pieces and started tossing small bits. It took some time, but all 4 tried it out and two of them to come closer for more.

I love the day old bread idea too. They can have the bread, I get the cake donuts. ;>)

I'll get some general purpose dog food, (not made in China)... unless I need to buy the high end stuff.

It's been an hour, I'm going back out with more.... this is fun. I want to see their acceptance, but I would like to see their intelligence too at some point.

Cheers,

Dan

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Bread is not great for geese. Oh, they love it to be sure, but it is really not that good for them. They will eat bread before they eat the food they should be eating and wind up with nutritional deficiencies. Bread only in very limited quantities.

Sorry to be a party pooper. [​IMG]

8. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    My geese love lettuce!

9. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    Mine love tomatoes. Everyone in the neighborhood raids my garden to feed them because they are shameless beggers.

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    When I had mine with the turkey's was bread.They loved Anything bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by