What is the favorite treat for Toulouse Geese?

Gator113

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Port Angeles, Washington
I'm a rookie at all of this.

Two nights ago I brought home our first gang of Geese. Three are Toulouse and we are told that the 4th is a mix of Toulouse and Embden. We are told that 3 are about 6 months old and that one is a bit over a year old. We are told that 2 are female and two are male. They were only $20 each, they look healthy, so I decided to buy them even though I don't believe a word the private seller had to say. If need be, I'll start over in the spring by buying babies.

We have been trying to make them comfortable with their new home. While we will be finishing their shed this weekend, they are presently in our courtyard just outside the back door, allowing for frequent contact with us. Of course we quickly found that keeping them this close to the house has given us the advantage of quickly learning how to walk on slippery Goose gifts. LOL

They are cautiously approaching and eating the food that we set out for them, but they are not the least bit interested in ANYTHING that we toss toward them, such as watermelon, bananas, grapes, peaches and lettuce.

I would like to find the treat that most motivates them and perhaps speeds up the bonding process.

I have a 2 year old GSD that would kill my neighbor if I offered him liver to do the job. The chickens would kill for grapes. We have had our first Muscovy ducks here for about 2 weeks, 3 of these 6 ducks are now eating from our hands. The ducks like grapes but absolutely love watermelon.

So, what if anything can I use to bribe these Geese? Should I just skip the treat attempts or do what my wife's says works and just give them my credit cards and ask them to go shopping? ;>)

Regards,

Dan

Last edited:
welcome to goose world!! Even if you don't buy dog food for your dog...? I keep a bin in the feed shed for the geese....the guineas and chickens eat it too? but I supply dog food to the flock for primarily the geese...more protein for them. HOWEVER!! They LOVE bread..the geese. Day old store on the way home is the geese friend!! Good luck with the critters!!

I am working on taming my three Toulouse now. everyday they get better and two of my three are eating out my hands now. I feed them bread or stale bagels in the morning for a snack.

The bread did the trick!!!!!!

I grabbed two pieces and started tossing small bits. It took some time, but all 4 tried it out and two of them to come closer for more.

I love the day old bread idea too. They can have the bread, I get the cake donuts. ;>)

I'll get some general purpose dog food, (not made in China)... unless I need to buy the high end stuff.

It's been an hour, I'm going back out with more.... this is fun. I want to see their acceptance, but I would like to see their intelligence too at some point.

Cheers,

Dan

Bread is not great for geese. Oh, they love it to be sure, but it is really not that good for them. They will eat bread before they eat the food they should be eating and wind up with nutritional deficiencies. Bread only in very limited quantities.

Sorry to be a party pooper.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom