what is the feeding system

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but i'll try.

You start out feeding day old chicks starter feed, all they want and can eat, and sugar water for the first few days to give them an extra boost. After about a week, you can give them plain water.

After 4 weeks, you can either continue the starter or switch to a starter/grower.

After 8 weeks, you switch to a grower formula til they turn 18 weeks.
After that, you feed layer feed.

The difference is the amount of protein in each type. The older they get, the less protein they need. Usually starter feed has 20-24% protein, whereas, layer feed only has 15-16% protein.

I'm not sure exactly what you feed roosters. I feed mine layer, bacause you can't separate them.

I hope this helps, sorry if you meant something else.

Mine's pretty pathetic. I'm planning on installing a PVC feeder, but until I get off my behind and do it I just have a plastic 1 gallon milk jug with a hole cut in the front. It's cheap and easy to clean...

Quote:
My girls are suppose to be 11 weeks old according to the feed store I purchased them from on 01Aug08. 2 Orp Buffs, 2 NH Reds, & 2 Barred Rocks.

Now the Barred Rocks look to be 11 wks old, the 2 Buffs appear to be a 1-2 wks younger, & the NH Reds maybe 2-3 wks younger. It could be the 3 different types... I'm not sure...???

Anyway, the feed store sold me starter/grower, but reading your suggestions, it seems they should be on a grower now?

I have no problem saving the starter/grower because we have 1 day olds coming sometime this week and can use it when they get to age.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I feed my rooster Kent's multiflock a 18% pelleted feed. The previous owners only fed him corn. I just bought some cracked corn today to give him and as scratch for the girls since they are now outside in the coop.

I guess multiflock is something I can't give the 6 week old girls?

Quote:
I keep this available for them 24/7 from day one, also plenty of water.

Last edited:
Some years back I switched to a very simple system that has worked out well for me. I feed a 22% game bird crumble from the day they're born to the day they die. When pullets start to lay I make oyster shell available all the time for calcium. I also occasionally give older birds some scratch grain.
Since I hatch 300 +/- chicks per year spread over several months I usually have birds in several different stages of development. With this system there's no question of who gets what-there's only one feed.
Wish I could take credit for thinking of this on my own but I visited one of the best Rosecomb breeders in the country-commented on the great condition all his birds were in & asked him what he fed. This was his system. I switched to it soon thereafter & it has worked out very well.
Another advantage is if I'm away for a weekend at a show I don't have to give my wife a list of which pen gets what-there's only one feed!

Quote:
Thank you NYREDS -

I'm going to run this suggestion by my husband... he's worried about the rooster and the different age groups we have now.

I believe we are going to have the same stages of birds, but not the numbers you have, so this may work for us.

At lunch I did find a feed store that sold game feed, but need to make sure of the 22% protien and we will have oyster shells available.

Thank you for sharing your feeding program.

Back
Top Bottom