what is the first sign of cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crystalchic, May 8, 2009.

1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I found a tiny red spot in chick poop. Is that the beginning of cocci? Can I treat for cocci if im not sure

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    chicks get kind of lethargic and want to sit close to the light with their feathers ruffled.

i would say that that could be a sign of cocci.

does anyone act sick?

i think some of the experts here would tell you to try powdered milk to sooth their insides, and others would tell you to go ahead and do a round of Corid if you suspect cocci.

probably if it is cocci, the blood will become more apparent. it did for mine.

3. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    i started the meds already. I clean my brooders at least three to four times a week. its hard to tell if they look look sick, because they are loosing their down and getting their feathers and to me during that transformation they all look kind of pitiful in a cute way

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    none of them has, had. or have any symptoms. I was cleaning the brooder and found a poop with a tiny red tingy to it. I cleaned the brooders and treated for cocci
    they seem fine,

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you been feeding them beet greens? That could color your findings.

Glad to hear they are fine.

7. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    my chickens only get laying mash or chick starter. Once in a while i give them greens and other treats. I worry about the greens and table foods rotting in the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by