What is the gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RJBast, Mar 21, 2015.

1. RJBast

RJBast New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are both about 6 weeks old. I'm seeking feedback if you think the Wyandotte might be a rooster. I got them from a hatchery at about a day old. Thanks.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I believe the SLW is a cockerel and I am not convinced that the buff is a hen either. The hanging saddle feathers, slightly darker hackle color and general messiness of the feathering makes me wonder. Maybe it's just a bad hair day? [​IMG] I could be wrong, as buffs have softer feathering than other breeds, the tail kinda, and face color do suggest hen. Any way, welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Theofire88

Theofire88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    I agree, the SLW does look like it is a roo, with the above comments and the redder comb and wattle, the Orpington maybe, I have both breeds and the SLWs don't have that extreme tail feathering, although the Orpington does look a bit like a roo, I would go with hen (provided I can only see one picture)

4. Theofire88

Feb 16, 2015
    On second thought, I reall can't decide with the Orpington...

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Silver Laced Wyandotte looks like a cockerel to me (but Wyandottes can be hard to sex). The Orpington I think is almost certainly a pullet. A cockerel would have a larger, redder comb by this age.

6. RJBast

RJBast New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback. Looks like I need to return to the hatchery where I got them and confirm it.

7. Theofire88

Feb 16, 2015
    Good luck!

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - also, 6 weeks is too early for saddle feathers, etc to be used for gender determination. The saddle and hackle feather characteristics don't develop until later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by