1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What is the gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RJBast, Mar 21, 2015.

1. RJBast

RJBast In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are both about 6 weeks old. I'm seeking feedback if you think the Wyandotte might be a rooster. I got them from a hatchery at about a day old. Thanks.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I believe the SLW is a cockerel and I am not convinced that the buff is a hen either. The hanging saddle feathers, slightly darker hackle color and general messiness of the feathering makes me wonder. Maybe it's just a bad hair day? [​IMG] I could be wrong, as buffs have softer feathering than other breeds, the tail kinda, and face color do suggest hen. Any way, welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Theofire88

Theofire88 Chirping

Feb 16, 2015
    I agree, the SLW does look like it is a roo, with the above comments and the redder comb and wattle, the Orpington maybe, I have both breeds and the SLWs don't have that extreme tail feathering, although the Orpington does look a bit like a roo, I would go with hen (provided I can only see one picture)

4. Theofire88

Theofire88 Chirping

Feb 16, 2015
    On second thought, I reall can't decide with the Orpington...

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    The Silver Laced Wyandotte looks like a cockerel to me (but Wyandottes can be hard to sex). The Orpington I think is almost certainly a pullet. A cockerel would have a larger, redder comb by this age.

6. RJBast

RJBast In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback. Looks like I need to return to the hatchery where I got them and confirm it.

7. Theofire88

Theofire88 Chirping

Feb 16, 2015
    Good luck!

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - also, 6 weeks is too early for saddle feathers, etc to be used for gender determination. The saddle and hackle feather characteristics don't develop until later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: