What is the general consensus of Standard Cochin Roosters-temperment

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
I have a mixed flock of 13 (incl 2 banty brahmas). One we have discovered is a White Cochin Roo. They are all 12 weeks old.

We are trying to decide what to do.

We are first timers...

He's chasing one BR pullet around now and occasionally will peck at some others if they try to take his treat (?)

Any advice? Are they hard to keep???

Will he hurt the bantys??

Lisa

I LOVE my cochin roos. I have had mine act as surrogate mothers to newly hatched chicks in a pinch. They did great. They would show them how and what to eat and even curl up with them at night under him. I did however find that I had to let them out with the hens every couple days for a break from the chicks, and to vent some "frustrations." The only thing I worry about with the bantys is, once they start laying, he's going to try to mate with them and the size could be an issue.

Jess

So, IF the chicken in question IS a ROO (I am still in denial), how can I make it work to keep him with the bantys??? Put roosts high in the run??

Another question, this girl/boy stands on a little hill in the run and flaps her/his wings. Is that ROO behavior?
And, chases chickens (one in particular) all around the run (I think she's low in the pecking order...a sweet BR).

And, is it possible for this white cochin to look so much different from the red cochin??? The white is taller, fluffier, has a bright red comb and wattles and lobes (comb is about 3/4" tall)- all of them are 12 weeks old)

I really do not know what to do. This white cochin is a stand out, is gentle eating from my hand, does NOT want to picked up, always comes to me when I enter the run (well....they ALL do!) and is our only white chicken...AND it is my daughter's chick!!!

I appreciate any and all advice. I am stuck, stuck, stuck!

Lisa

Cochins & Brahmas (in my opinion) have the best temperment!!!

I sit with my young roos, pet them & talk to them - away from the others every day!

as far as taking treats his is young yet!

I have bantams with large fowl (large roos don't seem to bother bantams although bantam roos go after large hens!!!)

Well folks...

Since my earlier post this morning, it is confirmed...

Maddie IS a ROO! She did 4 crows in a row and I just about died! I felt like a new Mom seeing my baby crawl for the first time.!!!

I am happy to hear the posts so far and am looking for more testamonials from you guys in order to make a decision.

His crow wasn't too loud...do they get louder?? (thinking of neighbors...)

Hope you all are having a nice summer--enjoying a needed break from frozen water in the coop!! (Remember all those posts this winter!)

Lisa

As far as the banty/ standard mating, I don't have any bantys in my standard flock. I keep my two OEGB separate from all the others. I just know how most male animals (including the two legged kind) will try to hump anything that moves
big_smile.png

I think all you can do is wait and see what his individual temperament ends up being. He should be fine.

Jess

Rooster-red,

How old is your young cochin roo?

Mine does not want to be touched, will eat from my hand (although he pecks hard OUCH), and seems to be the first to notice new noises. He comes running when I say, "HI GIRLS!"

Does this sound like yours?

Even my red cochin pullet behaves the same as the Roo. She wants to be near me, but does not want to be touched.

Lisa

I am feeling better and better about keeping him. I do not know what I am getting myself into.

Any other advice out there would be appreciated.

Has anyone had a standard roo go after banty hens??

Lisa

My cochins are the friendliest chickens I have. I only have a couple chickens out of my entire flock that I would actually consider "not friendly" and those were raised by someone else and basically not handled whatsoever till I got them. The cochin roos don't particularly like to be petted though. I think it's a testosterone thing. They will sit on my arm no problem, but get a bit peckish if I start petting them.

High roosts would give your other chickens someplace to get away from the roo if need be. My cochins once full grown can't jump more than about 3 feet if even that, though if there are things placed that they can kinda stair step it up, they will get up high enough that they'll hurt themselves on the way down. If you pick them up to about waist hight and drop them (kinda like you would when letting a normal chicken go, they drop like rocks, unlike my others breeds that just float down
big_smile.png
You have to be careful to remember that. I've only did it once and the chicken didn't get injured or anything, but it kinda scared me, andalso made me laugh a good bit.

Jess

Back
Top Bottom