1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the handsome guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by edenrice, Nov 27, 2016.

1. edenrice

edenrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2016
    I know he's a silkie cross, but I'm not sure what his other half is. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Hmmm, maybe cochin. MAYBE, but if it's not that then I've got no clue [​IMG]

3. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    I would also guess cochin by the look of his comb and those tail feathers but its just a guess. Heres one my 14 week old cochins for comparison.

[​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

4. PeepersMama

Honestly he looks like a hedemora at first glance, but they purple comb denies that [​IMG]

5. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    @edenrice Has his comb always been a purple color? If not then it could be a condition causing that instead of breed. I tried to look up breeds with purple combs but I got nothing except cause of why theyre comb might've turned purple.

6. PeepersMama

Purple skin is found in silkies and sumatras most commonly, along with a few other breeds. He looks healthy to me

7. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Agree

8. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Silkies and sumatras usually have black or blue skin but sumatras can have deep plum colored faces. Though the comb doesn't match up to silkie or sumatra maybe look up sumatra so you can compare images to your roo. And agreed he does look healthy, just trying to get as much info as possible to give a more educated guess.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have no idea what the other half is. Silkies can also have mulberry/ purple combs . He looks mighty dapper with his bow. How did you get it to stay on.

10. edenrice

edenrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2016
    Thank you everyone for help, and he's very healthy :) he's always had a dark purple comb. And I bought him a no crow collar with a bow tie add-on (it doesn't help much though) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by