What is the healthiest food you can give chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by M To The Maxx, Aug 6, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What is the healthiest food you can give chickens?

2. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I feed my chickens 20% laying pellets. They waste much less with pellets than with crumbles

I also add 1 T apple cider vinegar with the mother to each 1 gallon of their water supply.

I also give them treats, such as plain fat free yogurt, good for their digestion.

"Scratch" is cracked corn, milo, wheat or oats mixed together.
    Limit to a handful once a day, it is not good at all for them if the temps are over 90 degrees, but is great in wintertime.

I am going to raise some mealworms for them for this winter. My husband thinks I'm losing it... my mind that is. I told him they might have to live inside this winter, then I really got "the look."

DonnaBelle

3. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I already give them scratch, layena, fruits, and veggies. How much fat free yogurt and what type do you reccomend?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  4. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I give plain fat free yogurt. Whatever is the store brand is fine, they don't have to have Dannon.

Sometimes I mix some oatmeal with it. Usually I soak the oatmeal in a little milk to soften it, and them give it to them.

How many chickens do you have?

DonnaBelle

5. RWPower

RWPower In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    bugs and fresh green grass is what they've been eating for thousands of years

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Scratch" is cracked corn, milo, wheat or oats mixed together.
    Limit to a handful once a day, it is not good at all for them if the temps are over 90 degrees, but is great in wintertime

Ooooops.[​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have 20 chickens.

8. daryl

daryl In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Check out this site for organic feed countrysidenatural.com

9. THeINK

THeINK In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    wait no scrath if the temps over 90? why is that? I used to give mine oatmeal cuz i read they love it and they did, but lately ive been giving them 99cent store oatmeal and its been aroun 110 degrees they dont care for the oatmeal anymore, is this because of the heat? do they not like cheap oatmeal? or are they just tired of it?

as for a treat I give mine fresh corn i pull the kernels off the cobb they go crazy its their favorite treat i think, and that doesnt make much sense to me lol

10. Oh my, PLEASE STOP SPREADING THIS MISINFORMATION.

Corn is acceptable as a feed ingredient at all temperatures.

Jim

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: