What is the highest temp spike you have had and still had a hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marcuscarr, Jan 17, 2008.

1. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Also, to make us newbies feel better...what was you biggest incubating "lesson".

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Not to give up. The next hatch will probably be better!

If you have your own fertilized eggs, always put a few in with the shipped eggs so you don't end up with a lone chick to deal with.

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:JEEzzz, I was thinking that today. Wish i would of thought of it sooner. I only had one hatch from my last batch. This batch im going to slip in a few of my own. [​IMG]

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If you have your own fertilized eggs, always put a few in with the shipped eggs so you don't end up with a lone chick to deal with

My highest temperature spike was 114 F but I'm not sure for how long. I only ended up with one chick, I wish I had put my own eggs in... maybe mine would have survived better and acted as a companion.

Also... if you buy expensive eggs, don't buy a cheap incubator. The expensive incubator will be a worthy investment and will have better results.​

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:My highest temperature spike was 114 F but I'm not sure for how long. I only ended up with one chick, I wish I had put my own eggs in... maybe mine would have survived better and acted as a companion.

Same here! I had a spike to like 114 way back when in my cardboard box with heat lamp contraption. Hatched out just one on day 24.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Not with the bater,but I had a hen go broody last August, right before we had temps of 102-106 for 2 weeks straight. I know it had to be hotter than that in the house. I noticed the hen did not cover the eggs tight. She hatched 2 out of 8 eggs. Both were pullets.

Oh, my first with a bater-0% hatch. I could not stabilize the temps. I learned to always have a new thermastat. They don't cost that much.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Make sure the room in which you have the bator the temps are consistent.

Also just leave the house for a couple hours during hatch time or else the stress will kill you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  8. mel58

mel58 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    109 degrees. IN the water wiggler. don't know how long.

lesson learned: get the best incubator you can afford.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by