What is the ideal humidity level in the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 70monte, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    What should the humidity level be in the coop? With all of the windows and upper vent closed with just the pop door and the full length opening under the eaves, the humidity level in the coop is around 65 degrees with inside temps in the 20's. Is this too high? If I partially open one of the windows it will sometimes get down in the 40's. Thanks.

Wayne

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't think 65% is horrible, although I prefer somewhere around the 50% mark myself. And it somewhat depends on the humidity outside. If the humidity outside is only 35%, then I'd be really concerned with that big of a discrepancy. But if it's fairly close, I wouldn't worry, especially if it smells okay inside (no ammonia smell). But I might rethink the vent you mentioned keeping closed...

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Why?

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I don't really keep up with the level in my coop, nor do I think that it matters... but my flock has had cocci once, so I tend to try to keep it dry and not moist to avoid a cocci outburst.

5. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    Thanks for the reply. My coop is dry inside so that is not a problem but I probably need to leave the other window open a little. I have the heated dog bowl in the coop now since its been getting below freezing. That is probably contributing to some of the humidity.

I have been keeping the top vent closed because its at roost level and it has been very windy here lately and the wind just blows into the coop if I leave it open. The openings under the eaves are also letting in the wind and may be why the chickens don't seem to want to roost on the roosts lately. I'm going to try and find a way to close off part of this area so it doesn't blow in so much. Thanks again.

Wayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by