What is the identity of these breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kneedles, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I apologise if these photographs do not look good; I think that they are made to look slightly worse when I upload them.

These two were at a roadside café:

[​IMG]

What is the identity of the bird at the front? It was free-ranging at a private park:

[​IMG]

My relatives owned this one:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am not a breed expert but those are interesting birds and the pics are not bad. My guess is the top and bottom pics are mixed breeds and I don't know about the middle roo but he is gorgeous! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. PrestonC

PrestonC Chirping

Mar 10, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    A bunch of silkie mixes

4. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Songster

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I love the rooster I will be waiting to see what breed he is... I have a bird like the smaller one in picture one I'd love to know the breed. :)

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I would have to agree, need a better picture of the rooster, but he too looks like he might have a small crest.

6. Kneedles

Kneedles Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. That photograph is the only one remaining of that pair; the other photographs of the pair (as well as many unrelated photographs) could not be recovered after my hard drive crashed.
    If you look at the rooster closely, though, you can see that it has a very thick and almost smooth-looking crest.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree it looks like a lot of silkie ancestry!

The barred roosters, my best guess from the pic would be maybe a silkie mixed with Cochin. Maybe not first generation, and it may just be how he's positioned, but that tail looks so rounded and fluffy it makes me think Cochin.

I love the alert momma in the first pic [​IMG]

8. PrestonC

PrestonC Chirping

Mar 10, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    The boy also looks as if it was crossed with a single combed bird. And I actually think it is the result of quite a few crosses, with silkie being in the first. Then crossed again with a large bird. He's bigger than that leghorn laying back there.

I do have to say that the last bird shown is pretty interesting. It would be fun to breed her just see what you would get. Looks like she carries the birchin gene which resulted in brown red. Neat

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: