What is the latest age a goose can develop angel wing? 5 month old sebbie

Ephyra

Songster
Apr 13, 2019
Hi there,

I have 6 month old Sebastopol gander (we think). About 1 or 1.5 months ago, his feathers started poking out and I thought it was angel wing. I've read that angel wing is most common in geese between 4 and 8 weeks of age but it can happen later on. I tried to wrap his wings for several weeks, lowered his protein with extra greens etc but it never seemed to make any difference.

Sometimes I come across posts where people talk about Twisted Wing Tip, a Sebastopol exclusive condition - How do I differentiate between the two conditions?

Can angel wing even develop at 4-5 months? Can anything be done for him?

Thank you!

It develops when the primary wing feathers grow in. So it can vary from breed to breed and individual to individual. I would say it could easily develop in a 4 to 5 months Sebastopol.

Thanks! Do you know how I may differentiate between angel wing and twisted wing tip (which I read is untreatable?)? The feathers don't jut out to the side as you see with a lot of angel wings, they lay near his body but not tucked under, and point slightly to the ground.

If angel wing - At this point, is it too late to continue to try wrapping his wings, or could I try again? He started to really dislike me messing with his wings so I stopped, but it's clearly painful when he accidentally rubs them against things, so I really hope something can still be done

Thank you!

Can you share a picture? Sometimes when wing feathers come in on some poultry they are heavy and the bird needs to develop the strength to hold them up. I see it on turkey poults a lot. It generally goes away in a week or two as muscles develop.

Back
Top Bottom