What is the latest age a goose can develop angel wing? 5 month old sebbie

Ephyra

Chirping
Apr 13, 2019
Hi there,

I have 6 month old Sebastopol gander (we think). About 1 or 1.5 months ago, his feathers started poking out and I thought it was angel wing. I've read that angel wing is most common in geese between 4 and 8 weeks of age but it can happen later on. I tried to wrap his wings for several weeks, lowered his protein with extra greens etc but it never seemed to make any difference.

Sometimes I come across posts where people talk about Twisted Wing Tip, a Sebastopol exclusive condition - How do I differentiate between the two conditions?

Can angel wing even develop at 4-5 months? Can anything be done for him?

Thank you!

Ephyra

Chirping
Apr 13, 2019
It develops when the primary wing feathers grow in. So it can vary from breed to breed and individual to individual. I would say it could easily develop in a 4 to 5 months Sebastopol.
Thanks! Do you know how I may differentiate between angel wing and twisted wing tip (which I read is untreatable?)? The feathers don't jut out to the side as you see with a lot of angel wings, they lay near his body but not tucked under, and point slightly to the ground.

If angel wing - At this point, is it too late to continue to try wrapping his wings, or could I try again? He started to really dislike me messing with his wings so I stopped, but it's clearly painful when he accidentally rubs them against things, so I really hope something can still be done

Thank you!

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
central Wisconsin
Can you share a picture? Sometimes when wing feathers come in on some poultry they are heavy and the bird needs to develop the strength to hold them up. I see it on turkey poults a lot. It generally goes away in a week or two as muscles develop.

Top Bottom