What is the life span of the average hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alexa009, Apr 22, 2017.

1. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I different chicken breed varieties and I was wondering how long they would live.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    With good care a hen can live 10+ years -- however, their productive life of laying is much shorter, the first two cycles are the best and then fall off from there, and many don't opt to provide for non-productive birds so they see the lifespan as much shorter.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2. Typically higher production birds don't live as long.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    While some birds may live a long time, I have had many birds live between 2 .5 - 4 years. We do have real winters here.

I think it is best to add a few chicks each year, then you don't feel quite so bad.

Mrs K

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks so much! I just worry more about the heat here than winter since we live in texas . I have had a couple chickens die last year because of it. our buff orpington had almost died luckily we saved her life. Some other ones completely stopped laying until summer was over.:confused:

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Totally different living conditions!

I just worry that people set up what can be unrealistic expectations for the life span of their birds. Then feel like failures if the girls don't live that long.

Me, I keep a small flock, birds come into it, and go out of it. I rejoice when I get one that lasts a while, but I don't beat myself up, if a bird that has been well kept and had a good life, naturally dies at 3 years of age. It happens. I add a few each year, cull or lose a few each year.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by