What is the life span of the average hen?

With good care a hen can live 10+ years -- however, their productive life of laying is much shorter, the first two cycles are the best and then fall off from there, and many don't opt to provide for non-productive birds so they see the lifespan as much shorter.

With good care a hen can live 10+ years -- however, their productive life of laying is much shorter, the first two cycles are the best and then fall off from there, and many don't opt to provide for non-productive birds so they see the lifespan as much shorter.

X2. Typically higher production birds don't live as long.

Last edited:
While some birds may live a long time, I have had many birds live between 2 .5 - 4 years. We do have real winters here.

I think it is best to add a few chicks each year, then you don't feel quite so bad.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I just worry more about the heat here than winter since we live in texas . I have had a couple chickens die last year because of it. our buff orpington had almost died luckily we saved her life. Some other ones completely stopped laying until summer was over.:confused:

Totally different living conditions!

I just worry that people set up what can be unrealistic expectations for the life span of their birds. Then feel like failures if the girls don't live that long.

Me, I keep a small flock, birds come into it, and go out of it. I rejoice when I get one that lasts a while, but I don't beat myself up, if a bird that has been well kept and had a good life, naturally dies at 3 years of age. It happens. I add a few each year, cull or lose a few each year.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom