What is the lowest percentage of protein you go with for the cornish x

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by the simple life, Dec 2, 2009.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Around here the broiler feed is 18% unless you do flock raiser 20% or game bird chow 30%
    The other option if you want the nutrients in a broiler feed and not something for another type of poultry is to have the mill mix it for you, which I am seriously considering anyway.
    I had heard from reading alot of past threads that you should at least feed them 20% all the way through.
    What is everyone else doing?

2. tnchicken

tnchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    To be safe, I go with 22%-23% for the first 3 weeks and then drop to 20%. I have actually raised a flock on 16% with no trouble but think that was due more to good luck than anything else. The birds are just too delicate to take a chance. I get my feed from a mill now but have purchased fish meal and blended it with the 16%"off the shelf" product up to get it up to 20% before. You could probably use another high protein supplement to accomplish the same.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

The lowest I feed is 20%, and I usually feed 22%. Getting from the mill is nice because you can actually SEE what the birds are eating- actual pieces of corn, rather than suspicious grey pellets. Plus you cut your food cost in half.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well... I was a firm believer in the higher protein. I used 22% all summer and had samll birds for the taking. You would think it would be the opposite.

Now time will tell but I started my last batch of 300 chicks on 22% protein for the first 1.5 weeks. We are now at week three coming up on week four. These guys are being finished on 16%, just to see how they do. They look great and as of now they look better on the 16%.

I also have been feeding 24/7 since I got them too late and it's cold. I'm not sure the outcome but will let everyone know.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    I'm using 20% -- birds are doing well on it and for cold weather/molting, it's highly recommended. On that subject, however, I've been told by several people that pig/swine feed is really good, too, for protein content, etc. Has anybody tried that?

6. tnchicken

tnchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    I will be curious to see Jeff's results. The batch I raised on 16% had feed around the clock with no problems. I have left higher protein feed around the clock and had a lot of problems. Makes me wonder if this is really an economics and health issue i.e. They can get by on less feed overall with higher protein levels or more feed with lower protein levels??

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    interesting! I have been using chick starter mixed with some game bird feed. they are fat butter balls! Should i ease up and give them less? I have food out all the time since they are in with 2 bantams. BRB with %'s

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    ok, i am back and now even more confused! My sporting bird starter is 28% and chick starter n grow is 19%. Ummm should i just use chick starter??

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes, anything over 22% I have noticed to be a waste...

I'm trying to figure out if even a 22% after two weeks is a waste too?..

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can only get 20% here. After 4 weeks I drop back to the 16% feed and the meaties free range for bugs and vegetation plus I supplement with kitchen scraps and they get a ration of cracked corn. The last 2 weeks up to the day before processing I load heavy on cracked corn. It helps make good fat pads in the cavity bottom. The rendered schmaltz is a beautiful color a shade or two lighter than clarified butter.

I feed my chickens to benefit my table. I do not feed them to give them a long life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by