1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the meaning of this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ravencreek, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Ok I went out to feed the chickens today and my normally calm and friendly roo did this very strange and kinda scary thing. He had one side toward me at all times, never took his eyes off me and ducked his head down, dropped one wing(opposite side from me) and started making these deep noises at me and would come at me if I bent down... He has never done that before. What is he doing? Is this an aggressive behavior or is he thinking I am a hen?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He's in love with you and he's doing the dance!

I have a little 7 week old cuckoo maran roo that tried to flog me today. I just had to laugh.

BTW: rooster can't love... but we can love them...we are people

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:He is trying to show the hens that he is the boss not you. better get it handled quick or it could turn into something worst. when I find one that does that i chase him around to show him I am the boss.

AL

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

awwww, thats so cute! Your roo is in love with you! [​IMG]

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOL yepp the dance mine always do it and I have 9 roosters

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    AWWWWWW..........he thinks you are hot!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Oh wonderful!! Now I get to be "eye candy" to a crazy rooster. He will follow me all around the pen doing this. I thought he was going to attack me. Cause the faster I walked the faster he walked doing this crazy body posture. I was sure I was a gonner...hahah. I do feel better now.

8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Every rooster I have chased around has hooked on to the idea that this was his job, and he only got better [​IMG] I wouldn't turn my back on him if I were you...

9. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Quote:He is trying to show the hens that he is the boss not you. better get it handled quick or it could turn into something worst. when I find one that does that i chase him around to show him I am the boss.

AL

Uh oh! What do you mean handle it? He only has 1 hen right now. And there is another rooster in with them...I know that is a bad idea but the other hen went MIA. And the roo that was doing it is the lower roo of the 2.

10. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup he wants you somethin fierce hehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by