What is the most bossy chicken breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alexa009, Apr 15, 2017.

1. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I have different variety of chicken breeds and a lot of them are only about 9 weeks. I was wondering if any breeds of chickens are meaner than others. If so, then what breeds?

2. truckerlsu

truckerlsu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    Georgia
    It varies greatly within individual. The last "mean" one I had was a Rhode island red hen. Everything I had hated her

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Any chicken can be mean,but some breeds are more known to be mean,it is the blood.Jungle fowl or any "fighting" breed,is usually gonna be mean,but some other breeds like Rhode Island reds are very aggressive as well.I had two Rhode island reds a very long time ago,and they stuck together and turned my flock upside down,they made every hen aggressive and bullied the sensitive ones.Black sex links seem to be quite aggressive,or a better term,bossy.The two I have,have never been aggressive,just want things their way.New Hampshire reds are somewhat aggressive.I have a friendly,bossy hen who even threatens me at times,and will even get attitudes with our roosters,but even other New Hampshire I have are pretty aggressive,especially when towards weaker,or smaller members.

4. alexa009

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Rhode island reds were always a popular breed to me. I never knew they could get bossy. Thanks a lot for your help!

5. STxBCG

STxBCG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    San Diego, Tx
    I had an RIR rooster that was about the coolest guy you'd ever meet. He loved people and didn't have an agressive bone in his body. I lost him to a predator that attached one of my Bantam Cochin's, he ran in and got taken, the Cochin survived. She still hasn't grown the feathers back and took a while to heal the nasty cuts she got but, she just hatched 7 eggs and is making an excellent Mama Hen. I still miss that little RIR, he was a lot of fun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6. alexa009

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    My barred rock is almost a year and is probably the most bossy.

7. peaceisgreen

peaceisgreen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    my hybridized red jungle fowl rooster is the sweetest bird ive ever had he will stand by baby chicks hes never seen before and let them peck and pull on his wattles it looks painful but he doesnt seem to mindXP

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The bossiest hen is always which ever one is at the top of the pecking order. IMO, RIR have a rep for being nasty tempered. Mediterranean breeds have a rep of being flighty and aggressive in a flock.

9. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    RIR.

10. alexa009

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    what does imo mean? Sorry!