1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the most desirable breed of chickens based on sales?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ronster, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ronster

Ronster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    I've been reading and attempting to learn what would be the most desirable; most marketable breed of chicken?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Well it depends, do you want the chicken for eggs, meat, or both?

3. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    Hmmmm, this is a very open question and more background will be needed to fully answer it. The first being most desirable for whom? You? Potential customers? Are we talking egg chickens? Meat chickens? Lap chickens? Are you looking to start a business?

4. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    Based on sales, my guess would be
    CornishX
    Leghorn
    But if I where you I would look into a specialty market because you can't compete with the big boys that are already set up pumping out the cornishX for meat and the leghorns for eggs.

5. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Broiler

6. Ronster

Ronster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Let me restate the question; I.m just curious as to the most sout after or desired chicken breed as it might be validated by the sales of that breed verses sales of other breeds.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    In my area Hew Hampshire Reds and Barred Rocks seem to be the biggest sellers in the feed stores.

8. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Your question still doesn't make any sense, as it has no context. Do you do you mean the most commonly purchased chicken (aka what large hatcheries produce; that's already been answered above), and purchased by whom (large scale production farms or back yard keepers) or the most valuable chicken (as in rare stuff like Ayam Cemani) or the most valuable chicken for a small breeder to produce and sell? There's no one answer.

9. kgby13

kgby13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Also depends where you're located as some breeds are rarer than others in different places

10. kathleens1979

kathleens1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    Hanna City, Il
    I think Marans seem really, really popular. Their eggs always sell on ebay, especially if they are an unusual color. I just saw some Columbian Marans eggs go really, really high. I don't know how well they lay, though. I don't have any in my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by