What is the most expensive chicken??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by antiquebuff, Sep 1, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I was told a neighbor sold a pair of chickens for 135.00. I don't know this neighbor yet but was wondering what kind of chickens it could be.
    What chickens would be this expensive? Thanks for the infor.!

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the quality of the chickens, not just the breed. I've seen plenty of show quality silkie pairs go for that much or more.

3. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Joebryant had some pretty expensive eggs a few months ago as I recall he wrote:

"I'm thinking that I might have to get rid of Anne because I cannot afford to feed her. This morning she scrambled the three Silkie eggs that cost me $2,000+ to produce. She's a good woman, but her $1,000 breakfasts are more than the traffic can allow around here."

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

:eek:

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well, I just drove to Mississippi from Florida to pick up 10 cochins. Gas was $240, food $50, chickens $200.00. That's a total of $490 divided by 10 = $49.00 each. To me that's expensive!!

But I did see an 8 month old lavender silkie pullet bring $1200.00 on Eggbid.

6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Wow, I do know this neighbor is not into show quality , so I guess it could have been lavender silkies or such! I just may have to get to know him!
    Thanks for all the reply's. [​IMG]

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

[​IMG] the kind that lay golden eggs?

8. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    They are all expensive.

cost of the coop, cost of feed, cost of electric, cost of the spare room in the barn because the wife just kicked you out for spending too much time with the chickens expensive.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think that chicken who ate the wood screw is the most expensive. That's a heafty vet bill! [​IMG]

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:I forgot about that episode! Where is that thread now? Can you imagine the expression on their face when they realized what was in the chickens throat?!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by