1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the most friendly breed of duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bronwyn, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I keep reading things about how calm they are, but are the calmer ones more friendly?

My mom wants a couple of ducks that will follow her around the yard and keep her company when she's gardening (which she does a lot). She loves ducks and had them as a kid, and I'm finally convincing her to get some more, or, rather, let me get some. However, seeing as how I'm leaving for college next year, I want to make sure the ducks will be exactly what she wants as well. I am super new to this, but have been doing my best to research all requirements and different breeds--there is a lot to take in. I guess the most important thing is, really, what type of ducks should we get? Which are the easiest and most friendly?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Muscovies surpass any other duck breed when it comes to friendliness IMO.

3. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    I agree with Kevin. I don't own any muscovies, but the ones I have been around have been friendlier than most ducks. The "calmer" breeds are going to be better simply because they are not as flighty and therefore can be handled more often. The more they are handled, the better. They can be stinky and messy if kept indoors, but you can get things like duck diapers. If she wants some that will be bonded to her, I suggest only getting a few and getting them as young as possible.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Muscovies are pretty cool. But, I've heard that Pekins like people so much that they'd rather be with people than other ducks. Pekins do seem to be very friendly if raised right.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feel that the breed that gets the most loving, consistent attention is the best. [​IMG]

My runners and buffs go with me to the forest garden, and on foraging walks in our woods. They are excellent little garden helpers. They can be clumsy, stepping on plants, so I monitor where they go. This time of year (autumn) they can go pretty much anywhere with me. Spring and summer, I keep them out of the garlic, the raised beds of greens, and early on, out of the asparagus patch.

They have knocked back the slug population by, I would guess, 80 to 90 percent, they eat dandelion, chickweed and other weeds, their poop is the best fertilizer I have ever used. They are sweet, "talk" to me, like to be around me. I invested a good deal of time with the runners from the moment they arrived, and that has paid off.

The buffs were adopted as adults, and they take their cues from the runners. So the buffs are more shy, but are very sweet and good companions.

6. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Did you get the runners as ducklings or did you hatch them yourself?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Got them as day-olds.

And Bronwyn,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    My vote is for pekins! But I've never had muscovies.

9. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Also, there are some people who live nearby who have (I believe) blue swedish and rouen ducks that are super friendly. So, I mean, does the breed really matter, or is it more how much time you spend with them and how you care for them?

10. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    And thanks. I'm having a lot of fun. I'm already pretty addicted. I still can't believe my parents are okay with this, so I am reading everything I can to make them as comfortable as possible. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by