What is the most humane way to kill a chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gallery2000, Aug 8, 2007.

1. gallery2000

gallery2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
    What is the most humane way to kill a chicken? Cutting its head off is too bloody. How about electrocute it?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

cutting it's head off is quick and painless. Electrocution (sp?) is very painful. Ever had an elect. shock?! Cut it's head off or wring it's neck both are quick.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    yuck! i saw that done on the movie babel. it was really disquisting. (twisting off the head)

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I gas mine when necessary (use the car exhaust). Quick and painless...they just go to sleep. I guess that's why some people commit suicide that way.

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

There’s a contraption (don’t know what it’s called) that is conical. The bird goes in head down and the throat is slit (jugular?) and dies relatively painlessly.

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I also asked this question a few months ago and got lots of replies, heres the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2398
    I had to kill a crow the other day, He goes into the coop and pinches every egg, even the plastic ones! he had to go through a maze to get in and after going through this last spring I didnt want to again, he also made life miserable for all the other birds here>so I closed the door behind him and trapped him in, then I donned gloves and wrung the neck, It wasnt quick and I wouldnt do it again.
    I have used an old beanie hat and placed a rooster in to keep him still then used a cleaver. very quick but bloody.
    I know its a horrible subject but its necessary sometimes to know what to do in an emergency.

7. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If you shoot it CORRECTLY, the bird dies instantly and there's not so much blood as using an ax.

8. gallery2000

gallery2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
    What about giving it cyanide?

9. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:First electrocution....now cyanide...[​IMG]

What were you in a previous life...a Nazi??? [​IMG]

10. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Quote:Well you wouldn't want to do that if you were going to eat it....

We snap their necks, then cut their heads off, drain them upside down, then clean them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by