What is the most quiet chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3baymares, Feb 27, 2009.

1. 3baymares

3baymares Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Atlanta area, USA
    I have a friend that wants chickens badly but she can't distrub her neighbors.
    What is the most quiet breed of chicken out there or are they all loud after they lay?

2. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I think all chickens make some noise when they lay an egg. If she builds a community nest box instead of individual nest boxes the noise will be somewhat contained.

3. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Quote:Why wouold a community box be quieter (if thats a word lol) then individual ones?

4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    A community nest box is all enclosed with an opening for the hens to enter and exit through. They usually have tops that open up for egg access and cleaning. I've seen some that are 5'Lx2'Hx3' wide. It provides the darkness they like for laying and eliminates 2 hens trying to sit in the same nest box together (which also eliminates broken eggs and egg eating). I am going to recycle an old corner cabinet and put a small door in for the girls. One community nest box can accommodate many chickens. I'll have 12 or 13 hens and I'll only need one nest.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I don't have an answer for you but for a while, I thought I did. I have one EE that sings so quiet, you hardly notice. However, another EE pullet just started laying and I think she wants the whole neighborhood to know she is laying an egg, SO LOUD! So it just might depend on the individual hen. Wish your neighbor good luck for me! Genie

7. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    ee's are quiet.
    sexlinks are too

8. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Hmmm, my chickens are NOISY in the morinings, when they see me they start up a racket!! I have probably trained them now to do that since I give them something to shut them up so they won't desturb the neighbors.

They do make an "announcement" after laying an egg. But by then all the neighbors are long gone to work.

Ophelia is very NOISY!! And when I tell her to "shush" she bawlks all the louder at me!! Who needs a rooster when you have hens that are "bawking" just as loud. Food does seem to quiet them though.

9. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    LOL mine make a whole load of noise when they lay an egg, I can hear em' down in the front paddock.

10. tlb

tlb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    TX
    Our barred Plymouth Rock hen is very, very quiet, even when laying. She only clucks when she thinks we have a snack for her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by