1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the most reliable opener for auto-opening a pop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Oct 24, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Next summer we'll be going on vacation and have no one that can come out in the morning and at night to open/close. We will have someone that can come during the day to gather eggs and check food/water but not after dark and not early in the am. We don't have any neighbors.

So anyway, our best option will be to use an auto door opener. I am paranoid that it could fail and my chickens could be trapped inside or outside the coop so I want to make sure we get the most reliable one. I have until next summer to save up for it so I am not worried too much about cost, just want it to be the best. We have a door that slides up and down in a metal track.

2. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I will be buying one today. I also need to know whick brand is the best...

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    For me, this one seems to be the best.

[​IMG]

4. gale65

Quote:That one swings out right? I need one that pulls the door up and lets it down.

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:That one swings out right? I need one that pulls the door up and lets it down.

Gale, I have and Add-a-Motor our our door and works great. No problems what so ever and simple to install. Here is photo of our set up.

[​IMG] 1/8" aluminum door in wooden track, add-a-motor above that tied into timer.

6. gale65

Gale, I have and Add-a-Motor our our door and works great. No problems what so ever and simple to install. Here is photo of our set up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69010_door_motor-1.jpg 1/8" aluminum door in wooden track, add-a-motor above that tied into timer.

Thanks. I don't know how I missed your post. I'll look into that one. Our door is a plastic cutting board that is fairly heavy (3 lbs maybe?). Would that motor lift that size door?

also can it be set to close slowly? We had a pullet roosting in the doorway last night. ugh. Now I have that to worry about.

7. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    I have the automatic door from Fleming Outdoors, it has worked great so far for about 3 months. I like that it has no wood to rot & the door is aluminum so it won't rust. Just set the timer about 30 min. after the chickens normally go in to roost & it won't be a problem. I adjust as the time gets earlier for dark. The chickens go in before dark because they don't like being out, they can't see well.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have an add-a-motor as well, hooked up to a timer. Love it!

You can see it in the background here:
    [​IMG]

9. gale65

These add-a-motor units-the dust doesn't bother them? Or are they just well sealed?

10. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Quote:Hi, we have ours framed in. But I know they are sealed tight. It's made for chicken coops.

DH put it in the frame of the coop then covered it with some plywood. Works great! Never had a problem with it. [​IMG]

E/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by