What is the percentage of hatches for a broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Standard Hen, May 11, 2008.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Weird question, I had someone come and buy some hatching eggs from me yesterday who always do an incubator even though they have a couple of broody hens. They told me that the hatching rate of eggs in a broodys nest is around 30%??? I told them she is sitting on 16 eggs, of course I am sure they will not all hatch but they said I can plan on maybe 5-6 chicks? How do you figure that?

2. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    No, that's not correct. That's more like the average hatch rate of an LG still air [​IMG] Seriously, though, I don't know if there's an average overall for broodies based on any kind of study, but I think I read somewhere that they typically get around 85-95%, and that rings true based on my experience.

That's definitely the upper limit of what a good incubator can do. My R-Com-20 gets those kinds of results...

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I would think a broody hen would have an excellent hatch rate, considering they chuck bad eggs out of the nest.

4. coopist

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    They don't always chuck out bad eggs. Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't. I've had lots of broodies leave in the clears and walk away from them only when all the chicks were hatched. One even had a bad egg blow up under her. Some broodies are egg hogs.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've never had a broody hen... so I don't know. Just a guess. As far as letting it explode under her, ewwww. LOL

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thank you,,,that is what I thought too.
    Actually I think these people were two yuppies moving into the country from the city and maybe they had read it somewhere. I do not mean that to sound nasty but they do come in here thinking they know it all. I was glad though to let them have the eggs to broaden their flock.
    I checked on my broody a little while ago and she is still sitting away. The little coop stinks and next time I get a broody I am going to set something up so that she can leave the coop should she want to go to the bathroom or get fresh air. My real concern was the other hens going in there and laying eggs on her....If I am correct from when I saw her next Saturday is the day give or take!!!!

7. coopist

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:Eww is right! What a mess that was. The little OEGB egg maniac. I wouldn't have believed it except it was me washing those eggs and moving her bitey little butt to another nest.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  8. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I had 1 little banty hen sit 13 banty eggs and all hatched. Normally not all eggs will hatch but I have found that broodies do a pretty darn good job. I only put 2 standard eggs under a banty hen and all have hatched to date. Can't remember how many though. I am still waiting on 2 broodies and 4 standard eggs. After those hatch and the 18 in the bator hatch.........I AM DONE, NO MORE BABY CHICKS, NO MORE, ABSOLUTELY NO MORE, THIS MADNESS HAS GOT TO STOP, DO YOU HEAR ME FRIZLEDHEN, NOOOOOO MORE [​IMG] Thanks, I needed that.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My broody call duck, last year, hatched 5 out of 6 of her eggs. The egg that didnt hatch was infertile and was laid after she started sitting. They always have the best hatches.

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I had one hatch 6 out of 11 shipped eggs. That's at least as good as a bater. Normally I get at least 75% with a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by