1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the point of a feeder if all they do is spill it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Aug 22, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My roo is the worst and they are so wasteful. How to make them stop?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You need a better system. Hanging feeder, PVC tube feeder, etc.

3. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    pvc feeder with a box with screen on it under the pvc feeder. then you catch the waste.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Trough feeder wrapped in welded wire....I free range, so I only feed once a day and only put out enough for the one meal.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

OP, can you share what kind of feeder you use?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My dh made a fabulous wooden feeder designed by another BYC member and it works wonderfully! It holds 50#'s of feed and it has a removable tray for easy cleaning. I was fed up of wasting at least a weeks worth of food. Since we built this feeder, there has been zero waste!

It's on post 10 in this link. I have photos of our feeder on the third page of the link. We added a removable lid on our feeder tray with 2 inch holes. I didn't have a photo of it, but it looks very similar to the feeder of post 10 in the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have turned a feeder bottom upside down, and set the other feeder on top of that, so it raises it 2 inches higher off the ground. I can't hang it yet, I have chicks that are to short yet to reach if I hang it. I lose less feed that way. Also set the water up this way so I have less crap end up in the waterer. Otherwise I'd suggest hanging. If they can not scratch it out, you'll not have such a loss. I purposely thou, remove the feeder every few days to "help" clean up their mess... They'll eat up what they spilt. LOL.

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I made it, it is a black plastic tube that sits in a tub. It's gravity fed and worked great until the roo started flinging the food everywhere.

9. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    This is the feeder we made to sit in between the stud boards in the coop. It latches to the wall with 2 hooks so it doesn't fall over.
    It is gravity fed and fills from the top, and has a lid so none of the chickens will fall in if they go to try to roost up on it.
    It works well, and keeps the feed spillage to a minimum.
    we got the idea from the "homemade feeders" section on this (BYC) website

From a side angle
    [​IMG]

From the front
    [​IMG]

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I made it, it is a black plastic tube that sits in a tub. It's gravity fed and worked great until the roo started flinging the food everywhere.

I wonder if it would help to put it up higher. We have a pvc feeder but the bottom is also pvc with 2" holes for them to eat from. The feed is at the bottom of the pvc so they don't make a mess. But I was thinking of switching to one similar to yours, with the vinyl gutter instead of a tub. Maybe I'll stick with what I have...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by