What is the point of breed clubs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Sep 28, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi,

I would like to know how many people are members to breed clubs and why? Because so far I have not seen any benefits of being a member to being a non member. [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I haven't joined any breed clubs, but i would say a club is something you join for a sort of fellowship. You enjoy the company of others who have similar interests, whether it's a silkie club, or an Ameraucana club......It's fun to get to know others who enjoy the same breed you're interested in. Then you can share the breed with other members, attend poultry shows together, it's meant to promote the breed standard and have fun doing it!

4. HappyTailsFarm

HappyTailsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    Ok-'breed clubs' to which you are reffering, (Rosecomb Federation, Japanese club, the A.P.A. and A.B.A.), are more useful for when you are showing chickens and want to earn points towards starred wins, better awards, more regonition, etc., and/or when you want to support a certain breed, and promote that breed because you are passionate about it. Other clubs, your local ones, are more towards a getting a group together who enjoy the same thing, and want to promote it, and learn, and want to be involved more than just having chickens for eggs, however, the drawback is, there can be drama, (luckily my club is very against this and greatly discourages it, while promoting you to excel in the poultry world, the way clubs should be....), also you are or should be expected to make meetings regularly or really why did you join. In my experience, local clubs give you a better chance at making changes, (don't wine if you won't try to change it), and give you a support group of people you know and go to shows with, and it becomes, (if the club has its priorities straight), a fantastic way to learn more and better ways for everything poultry related. Hope this helps, but until you are in a club, its difficult to explain.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Some people want to work to maintain the breed and a breed club connects you to other people who do the same. It connects you to those people who might not otherwise be known.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Joining one allows you to be on their breeders' list which helps buyers sort out the reputable people from the others, it also connects you to others who are into the same breed or variety as you, it gives you news and updates and for some, access to their personal forums, etc.

Outside being a member, it's very useful to inform people about the breed, its colors, its origin, its standard, and also its breeders.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes well kind of.............. Breed clubs from my experience is for folks who have decided to be dedicated to certain breed beyond common curiosity, these club members share in depth information and learn from each other in a myriad of different aspects, from genetics, breeding, care, excibition showing, buying & selling better quality birds and inhancing the breed.

Mainly they are formed as a professional learning tool you can't get from social forums where any information is extremely limited, restrictive and of questionable facts. You can learn so much more than just what you glean from a hatcheries vague bio, Hatchery stock is also a big taboo with these breeders as they really have no place in the betterment of any breed of chicken on a higher level.

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If you're a breeder, clubs also help you get your name out to others who may wish to purchase birds of that specific breed, as most clubs keep a breeder's list for those interested in getting into the club's favored breed. I'm not in any clubs at the moment, but I can see the benefits if you're serious about getting your name out as a breeder of a certain breed or plan to show your birds. Some clubs are also dedicated to preserving certain rare or uncommon breeds in the US and are a way for people who raise those breeds to connect and build a bigger network to get future stock from or work on projects with.

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    also with out breed club new colors can not be added to the standard or perfection

10. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:Yes well kind of.............. Breed clubs from my experience is for folks who have decided to be dedicated to certain breed beyond common curiosity, these club members share in depth information and learn from each other in a myriad of different aspects, from genetics, breeding, care, excibition showing, buying & selling better quality birds and inhancing the breed.

Mainly they are formed as a professional learning tool you can't get from social forums where any information is extremely limited, restrictive and of questionable facts. You can learn so much more than just what you glean from a hatcheries vague bio, Hatchery stock is also a big taboo with these breeders as they really have no place in the betterment of any breed of chicken on a higher level.

Chicken breed clubs then are like dog breed clubs. If you want top quality, you go to a breeder not a pet store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by