What is the prefer method to remove or reduce the size of a rooster's spur.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Alexia, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I have been searching the internet on different methods to remove or reduce the size of a rooster's spur. There are so many different ways that I am totally confused on what to do. Should I remove it completely with pliers, cut it down or just file it? What is the prefer way to do it?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I personally like to shorten and blunt them a little with a Dreml. To me that is much like trimming one's nails, and you aren't likely to go far enough down the spur to draw blood. If you cut the whole thing off you will certainly see a lot of blood. Another thing about a Dreml is, if you go a little too far down, it will cauterize a small cut..

But I'm sure others use other methods which they prefer.

3. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you. I will the dremel tomorrow. It's my first time doing it. I hope my rooster doesn't get too upset with me.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Probably depends on how long or sharp they are. Some spurs are so long the bird literally trips over his spurs; in that case, twisting it off will shorten it significantly. Some spurs are sharp like a blade, and others sharp like a point, and yet others completely blunt. Dulling a point is easier than is dulling a blade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by