What is the preparation for selling eggs, if any?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KauAnnie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I wasnt sure what catagory this ques belonged in so I put in here because of egglaying. Sorry if Im wrong :?

So I wanted to know if I wanted to sell my eggs locally, do I need to get certified or something? My dad owns a store, so I would sell it there. Its not a grocery store, so would he have to get his store certified?

Any experiences?

How long should I wait to sell my eggs, like the maturity of the hens, if that makes sense. Like, how long they have been laying.

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't know about whether or not you would need to get 'certified.' I would think it would depend on your city/county ordinances; I would start there.
    I sell mine on Craigslist (not very often) & mostly to co-workers.
    As far as how long you should wait to sell them, regarding the maturity of the chicken, when they're mature enough to lay, I say sell the eggs if you can. The first egg they lay (in my experience) is good enough to eat, so why not? The eggs will probably get a little bigger as the hen matures.

3. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Thank you [​IMG]

I really want to help my parents with bills and stuff so selling eggs would be perfect I think. I knw it wont make much, but it'll cut the cost of food [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by